1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serial Adapter help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Coldplayer, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Thread Starter

My new pc didnt have a serial port so i bought a adapter and plugged it into my com connectors. So i install the modem and install drivers but under location instead of COM1 it says unknown and im unable to connect to internet. I cant query the modem either. How do i set the location of the modem to com1.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's see, no make/model of the modem, no version of Windows, no make/model of the adapter...

Perhaps if you supplied us with real information about the environment, we could be of more assistance. :)

3. Coldplayer

Its just a standard com serial adapter. Modem is a 56k netcomm mega I modem....im using vista 64bit atm..

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sorry, but "standard com serial adapter" is a non-starter. It obviously has a make and modem. :rolleyes:

I think I'll let someone else work this one, I don't see that you're that interested in really supplying the information requested to actually allow us to help you.

5. Coldplayer

i already staated the modem in my above post..and its just a generic serial adapter which attaches to my COM headers. There is no brand or numbers on it.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A 64-bit operating system is a pretty good clue. Driver support is likely limited or non-existent. You'd have to search for specific chipset drivers or information for the card. And for that you need to know a lot more than "generic serial adapter". It has a manufacturer, a model, a chipset, an indentifier, something.

I don't know what to tell you about the modem. You may need 64-bit drivers for that as well which would involve yet another search.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice