Serial ATA

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RLJ1959

I have 2 WD Raptor 37 gig drives setup on a raid 0 array. My motherboard will support 4 sata divices. Can I install another sata drive as extra storage without it being included in the raid array? In other words I want my computer to boot to the raid array; and use the other drive for storage. :confused:

correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't adding a non-RAID drive to a RAID system defeat the purpose of RAID? wouldn't you lose the benefit of the RAID setup??

RLJ1959

I don't want to interfere with my boot drive(raid). I just want more storage and also I noticed in my bios that I can enable or disable each sata port.

crjdriver

It depends. Some raid controllers like nvidia raid will allow you to use raid and non-raid drives connected to the sata controller. Real raid cards do this as well. I have just the setup you have described; two drives in raid0 and a third drive for backup. These are connected to a promise tx4300 sata raid controller.

Other onboard controllers like via or promise will NOT allow you to do what you are trying to do. They function as a raid controller OR a standard ide controller but not both. Some mb have more than 1 sata controller so you can have one for raid and the other for standard ide.

RLJ1959

I can't find out from MSI about this but it is an nvidia Nforce 4 4x board with nvidia raid controllers and like I meant to say before, I can enable or disable raid on each sata port.

crjdriver

You can do it. Nforce4 is probably the best of the onboard controllers.

RLJ1959

Ok, that settles that and I really appreciate all your help(y) Now do I have to have an os installed on this extra drive to use it for storage?:D

No definitely not.
Edit: You do of course need to partition and format the drive.

RLJ1959

Thanks a million for all your help. I went ahead and disabled raid on one of my sata ports and installed the drive on it, then I took a copy of Max Blast for windows and formatted the drive. It gave me the option to make this a boot device or storage device so now I'm up and running. Thank you so much and have a great evening.:)

crjdriver

Glad you got it to work.
Just a thought; I would use windows disk management to partition and format the drive rather than the mfg software. The reason is that sometimes the mfg software will install a drive overlay on the drive.

Don't mean to butt in, but what's wrong with a drive overlay? What problem does it present?

crjdriver

Drive overlays very often do not work well with other drives. If you put the drive [with the overlay] in another system to try and recover files, you often run into problems.

IMO a drive overlay should never be used. If there is no bios flash available for the board to support the large drive, then go with a controller card.

RLJ1959

I don't know much about drive overlay, I just know that I formatted the drive using windows and I used Max blast to set it up as an extra storage drive. I guess my bios supports large drives even though this one is only 80 Gb. If I remember correctly, you only run into to that with drives over 137 Gb. Thanx Guys.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online