1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serial Device Enumeration - boot.ini /FASTDETECT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mizzfit, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mizzfit

mizzfit Thread Starter

Hello All,

I have run into an interesting problem. Currently I have data coming from a device connected to my serial port. The problem that I have is that Windows XP see's the data as a Serial mouse and then my system is unusable until I have stopped the data. That being said, I checked with Microsoft and they claim that /FASTDETECT in the boot.ini file will disable any and all serial/parallel mouse enumeration. That is unfortunately not the case. We have also found that disabling a registry key/changing it will cause this device not to be detected as a serial (legacy device). However, this must be done manually or each time a new serial device is added to the system. Is there any way to permanantly disable all serial mouse enumerations with one method that will not come back when adding a new serial device to the system?

Your help is greatly appreciated in this matter.

Regards,
    Ryan

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. mizzfit

mizzfit Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately this is a very outdated command for Windows NT, but none the less, I tried this command yesterday with the /FASTDETECT which is supposed to resolve this issue. However neither command seem to do what they are intended for.

Regards,
    Ryan

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. mizzfit

mizzfit Thread Starter

Thanks again for the reply, we have moved in another direction. We have decided to switch chipsets. Seems TI has a much better product than what we are using at this moment.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/546007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice