Serial File Transfer Cable & Monitor Serial cable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

numom4katie

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between these two cables? They look exactly the same & I can't make out specs printed on them to tell. Packaging long gone too! Thanks!

"Monitor Serial Cable" is a new one on me.

A Video (VGA) cable has more pins than a serial cable, definitely not interchangeable?

There is such a thing as a Serial Port monitor (sniffer) cable but it is a straight through serial cable with an extra plug that allows monitoring of what is going on, it would be very different from a serial data cable in that it has an extra plug.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
A "serial file transfer" cable has either a DB-9 pin or DB-25 pin DIN connector on it, or perhaps even both on each end.

I also don't know what a "Monitor serial cable" is. :)

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yes, and I actually thought I edited out DIN, I really did mean DB. :)

What you probably have is also known as a "Null Modem" cable. Several of the pins are swapped, like 2 & 3 (Recv. & Xmt).
If you want to transfer data, use a "Laplink" cable. It's a parallel cable w/ swapped pins, and is much faster. Windows even supports it as "Direct cable connection".
A little faster is a cat 5 crossover cable (swapped wires) in an "ad-hoc" network.

.... friz

JohnWill said:
You shouldn't compute when you're drunk or tired. :p:p
Tired I agree but drunk, I do some of my best work!!!! Of course who mentioned drunk?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.