1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"serial" flagged

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wguru, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wguru

wguru Thread Starter

My Acer AspireOne AOA150 Netbook (XPH SP3) device mgr lists "serial" under "non-plug and play drivers" and it's serial driver is yellow flagged ('this device is not present, is not working, or does not have all of it's drivers installed).

I'd sure like to know what the serial driver supports (I'm guessing it's for the VGA port, but sort of oddly my W7 laptop's device mgr currently doesn't list a serial driver in device mgr, but then again I've yet to try using the monitor on that laptop).

Nevertheless, in that I only use the external monitor for the Acer, and the monitor works well enough as far as I'm concerned, might then the flagged serial driver amount to
    anything significant, or if the flag's simply some sort of bug.

About all 'serial properties' discloses about the driver, is that it's file is in system32\drivers, as nearly all the serial properties details are mostly blank.

Might my analog-digital dongle (PVR Plus, ie; my TV capturing device) be a possible cause for the flagged serial driver (again the dongle, etc. all works well enough, so no real issue there).

I've seen this sort of flag for 'serial' before and as I recall, my uninstalling it to see if it reinstalls at re-boot, usually didn't seem to reinstall (as serial simply no longer listed), so I'm a bit wary of any advice to try that, especially not knowing what 'serial' supposedly supports.

Anyone experiencing this, affording shared wisdom, appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice