1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serial Killer RAM!?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kdiddy, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kdiddy

kdiddy Thread Starter

Ok my neighbor is having have this interesting situation, and since he has no net access now, Im posting this...he HAD 2 boxes..

Abit BE6
    Celeron 433
    "SUSPECT" 128 MB ram
    64 RAM
    10 GB WestDig
    sound, NIC, & vid
    CDrom
    250W supply

Acer V72ma
    K6-2 500
    128, 64 SDRAM
    (2) 20 GB IBM
    onboard sound & vid, NIC
    CDrom
    250W supply

Ok the deal is about a week ago, the Abit setup started having lockups & kernel errors, then hours later, OS would not boot, followed the next morning by not even posting, no bios, no nothing. Switched everything out from CPU all the to power supply, everything else ran fine on one of my boards. So concluded bad board.

Well in the Acer setup, he replace the 64 MB RAM chip with the "SUSPECT" 128 MB RAM chip from the Abit setup. It was running just fine about a week until today. Again, he got a kernel errors, followed by minutes later, "unable to read disk" errors when trying to boot...& now it just sits at the system info screen on power on...he can enter the bios still, but thats it. It will not do anything past that point. Again, switch out all pieces of hardware some of my old stuff, no change...so another bad board??..whats the odds of that??

The ONLY piece of hardware that was the same between 2 machines is that "SUSPECT" 128 MB chip. This chip doesnt cause problems in any of my machines. But of course I havent left it in for a week....has anyone ever heard of a RAM chip slowly killing a mainboard???

2. Rockn

Rockn

Not unless it had some bad internal circuitry that was shorting something out. Couldn't be a virus as once the power is gon the contents are wiped from memory. Take the suspect stick in to a PC shop and see if they have a tester they can put it on and burn it in for a day or so.

3. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Those problems don't even come close to sounding like a memory chip problem. A memory chip is either functional or defective. They don't work for a while then fail, then work for a while in another system then fail. There's another common factor between the two systems...the user. These problems could be caused by viruses. They could also be caused by failing hardware. Neither system is new. It's possible the hard drives failed. I could think of a hundred potential problems, but none of them would include a bad memory chip.

4. kdiddy

kdiddy Thread Starter

"There's another common factor between the two systems...the user. These problems could be caused by viruses."

Well I thought of that as well, but the problem , is that the 2nd (Acer) box was reformatted & had just windows, and was sitting idle for weeks, no lan or internet connection, he was waiting until his wife return from overseas business to load whatever software she wanted on it, he only noticed because he plays solitaire on it,.....

"They could also be caused by failing hardware. Neither system is new. It's possible the hard drives failed."

Again, we tested all pieces of hardware on one of my boards, and everything works/worked fine, even the SUSPECT ram, but like I said before, seeing how it was the only piece of hardware to come in contact with both mainboards...I wasnt about to let it stay in mine. :D

"My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner. "

I dont see how this is going to do any good if one board doesnt even post and the other only post to the ram check and freezes, explain how we are to virus check that?

5. Schwaby126

Schwaby126

We had that problem also, we had a bad 128 pc100 on an Abit BE6 and when we replaced it we were ok. WE did how ever reformat and reload the hard drive. After that it ran well for about a year then we had problems with the USP ports on the BE6, evertime we plugged in a usb item it would crash the computer. So we have since upgraded to a new mother board and processor. Our old BE6 had a PIII 450 on it.

Schwaby

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi kdiddy, welcome to TSG....

Have you tried to see if it'll boot up with just the minimums (cpu, ram, video card, hard drive)?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice