1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serial to USB Adapter - what are the capabilities?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tommo020788, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tommo020788

tommo020788 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a little netbook computer that has no usb ports, and it is very hard to find a card for this netbook that will connect it to the internet (wireless, or ethernet carts).
    It does have a serial port on the back of it, and I thought, perhaps I could get a Serial to USB adapter, then plug a wireless usb device into the usb plug...
    Would this work? or is this kind of a dead end idea?

I just wanted to give it wireless capabilities :(

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What Netbook do you have? I've never seen a Netbook with no USB ports or at least a ExpressCard slot.

3. tommo020788

I forgot the model number but its a NEK netbook,(pretty oldschool style netbook), and it does have a slot very simalar to the ExpressCard slot, but the slot is smaller than it is in any of the other modern netbook computers out there.

I am 100% sure it has no USB ports, and I'm not even sure of what type of express card this thing might take, because of the size of the slot :(

The person I bought it from said he had a wireless network card for it, and that they are hard to find these days, but I would have to pay an extra $30 plus shipping to get it. The guy was too slow at replying all the time, so I eventually gave up on him.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, so this isn't a modern Netbook, its just an old small notebook?

I think it would be good to know the exact model number of the unit and what version of Windows its running.

5. tommo020788

hey, yep thats right, and I am not running windows on it. I am running Linux.
    I will try to track down the model number too :)

Does anyone have an answer to my initial question about serial to USB then?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice