1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Series of issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leftb3hindx, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leftb3hindx

leftb3hindx Thread Starter

Laptop: Asus K55a Windows 8 64bit

Ok, so last night I spilled a drink over my laptop and I immediately took the battery out, flipped over to avoid anymore spilling and cleaned what I could with a paper towel. Then I took the entire back and keyboard off and dried everything I could with a microfiber cloth (it was barely wet, but just wanted to make sure).

I disconnected the power strip, touchpad strip, and the (i think) keyboard strip. (the biggest strip of the 3)
    I booted about a hour ago after reconnecting the 3 and there's a black piece on each that clamps them all down, the largest one has fallen off (I don't see any pieces broken though) - does it re-attach with ease?

When I booted it was fine, but whenever I typed my password: a= aj, j=j\ etc...any idea why?
    So I proceeded to take the keyboard off again and try reattaching it (the strips basically).

Now when I boot it says to insert a bootable media drive and press a key again

So its gone from keys not working properly to it won't boot period (other than giving me that error) and I think I've broken a piece

Largest problem: getting that strip to stay in there properly and fix the detached black clamping piece
    Minor (for now): why the keys are acting the way they do

Thanks..

2. khash

khash

I can't help you with the "clamping pieces", but the key's are doing that because there will still be residue in the KB and possibly the Board inside. How long did you leave until turning it back on again? typically, electronic devices such as laptops/smartphones should be stored in very dry places after a good drying and then start up after at least 5 days+ In my opinion anyway.. I've had some success after 2 soakings. :p

3. leftb3hindx

Not long, 24 hours tops. The whole front panel comes off rather than just the keyboard. So the touchpad is there too. It is possible.

Good news- the "clamping mechanism" does anyone know proper term btw? It IS detachable and reattached just fine.

Now my big problem is why do I still get the insert a boot drive and restart message? I haven't messed around with any hardware other than unscrewing the back panel to make sure nothing leaked (it was fine).

4. leftb3hindx

Hurray, works fine. Thread can be locked, thanks for the feedback khash.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice