1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Boot Problems with Vista x64

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by luketc, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luketc

luketc Thread Starter

Okay, so last week, I installed a new retail copy of Windows Vista x64 on my computer over my existing 32-bit XP Installation, and it worked without a hitch. I have had Vista running perfectly for the last couple days, but some of my apps did not work on x64.

So, today I decided to put a small XP installation on my drive after Vista for when I need these apps. Because Acronis does not work with x64, I used my GParted LiveCd to partition my drive. I resized my big partition, made a new primary NTFS partition after it, then rebooted.

I put my xp disc in, and told it to install on this new partition. So, it copied the installation files, then rebooted the computer. Unfortunately, I got some sort of error which I can't recall, and the installation couldn't continue. When I tried to reboot into vista, I got a message saying that HAL.dll was missing/corrupted. So, I booted from my Vista DVD, and used the repair windows tool to fix startup problems. This worked perfectly, and I was back in Vista x64, basically back where I started.

So, I decided to give XP another shot, except this time I only used Gparted to resize the main partition. I opened up a few gigs, thinking I could use diskpart to create the new partition. So, I popped the livecd out, and rebooted. This is where the real problems started.

Windows seemed to boot as usual, except it hung at the boot screen with the green bar that goes across the screen. It stays at this screen indefinitely. So when I rebooted, it asks me if I want to boot into safe mode. When I choose this, it hangs at the driver loading screen. So, then I tried to boot with my vista disc to use the repair tool, but when I tried this, the "loading files" bar went across, and the green loading bar appeared for a few seconds, then disappeared to a black screen, which it stays at indefinitely.

So basically, I can't boot into vista, nor the vista install disc

If any of you can give me a way to either get into vista, or tell me a way to back up my files without booting into windows so I can wipe my drive and reinstall, this would be great.

Also, for what it's worth, I have a 20gb primary hfs+ partition that is at the end of my disk that I use for my Mac OSX86 installation. This shouldn't affect the rest of my computer, though, I don't think...

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Remove the drive and install it in another computer to copy off the files you want.

Then wipe the drive completely, and use the Windows XP CD to create a partition big enough for XP to be installed on and install XP first. Then Install Vista onto the remaining space on the drive. You may also want to create a third partition and use that to store all your data on so it never resides on the same drive as your operating systems. When installing multiple operating systems its best to create the partition layouts first and start with the oldest operating system.

3. luketc

luketc Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

I ended up getting an xp installation working well enough for me to back all my stuff up on my External hard drive. I formatted the disk and am installing Vista x64 right now.

I don't know if I trust my GParted CD anymore - It really screwed up my hard drive configuration.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!