1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Crash-need recovery help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pradhan, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Subsequent to an automatic upgrade by MS Update, my start menu has all but disappeared...Every program folder is now empty. The folders are still there, for example

Programs>Winzip> Empty
    >CorelDRAW 10 > Empty

etc, etc.
    The programs are still on the hard drive but their startup menu shortcuts are all gone. I have restored from a previously back-up but the shortcuts don't return.

Any suggestions on rebuilding this? Is is necessary to reload all the software to recreate their default shortcuts (God, I hope not)

Thank you

2. MaDKiWi

MaDKiWi

Strange, thats now the second problem ive seen related to an MS upgrade..... If you are on XP use the system restore feature, that should help you out there... if not then find your cds cause you could be there for a long while!

3. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Wow, that was quick. I am W2K, sorry I didn't mention it. Yes I am collecting my CD's now.

Pradhan

4. MaDKiWi

MaDKiWi

No probs dude, id also scan for viruses too... you never know.. they are out there to peeve people off and shortcuts.. well life would be rough in the computing world without them!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!