1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

serious graphics card problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beeblebrox, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beeblebrox

Beeblebrox Thread Starter

Updating computers sucks, don't you think?

Well, this time the problem isn't about upgrading. Instead it's about downgrading.
    We bought some spare parts and turned one computer into two so we could have two computers connected to the internet. Now I have a computer with Windows XP installed on the hard drive. It had the drivers for an ATI Radeon 9000 graphics card installed. That, of course, created a problem when we downgraded the graphics card to an ATI Rage Fury Pro/Xpert 2000 Pro. We also downgraded the CPU from a 1250 MHz Athlon to a 750MHz Duron. Everything else, including motherboard, stayed the same. The old, better parts went into the new computer.

So now it starts up very slowly. The first time we tried, it didn't start at all. The second time it started in 640x480 resolution and gave a message that new devices have succesfully been installed and are ready for use. These devices were of course the "new" graphics card, the "new" CPU and a network card.

The first thing I did was, naturally, to uninstall the old Radeon 9000 drivers. I then tried installing Rage Fury Pro drivers from the disc that came with it, but of course the disc was from times before XP. It said "you have to be logged in with administrator rights on an NT system to run this program". That's when I realized the disc was old. I got a net connection working and downloaded drivers from the ATI webpage. I installed them, and now the computer only boots in safe mode. When I uninstall them, it boots normally (takes ages, though). There is something wrong with the graphics card...
    Just now I started it again, with no drivers installed and it found new hardware. It managed to find drivers from Windows Update and I thought they mioght actually work. It installed them and I didn't even have to restart. I could change my screen resolution and everything, just normally. Then I tried my luck and restarted. Jammed! It jams in the part when the Windows XP logo appears and the sliding bar thingie starts rolling under it. It rolls for a while, then freezes and nothing happens... :(

help me! What is wrong??!!

2. matthewwtx

matthewwtx

to use system restore to roll back your system to a time before you had installed any drivers. After the roll back, install the updated XP drivers from the manufacturer's website.

3. Beeblebrox

nope, tried that... same problem...

I noticed the old card had left a trace in BIOS... AGP Aperture size was left to 64M of the Radeon instead of the 32M of this one...
    The ATI webpage says this card supports AGP 4x/2x... should I enable or disable AGP 4x in BIOS?

Any other BIOS settings that might be causing the problem?

Full reinstall of XP? Would that be any good? Or is it a hardware problem? The card has been in the motherboard beore, when we still had Windows 98... so it isn't a compatibility issue...

I've been installing and uninstalling the drivers the whole damn day without results... I just now got another idea to try... set graphics acceleration to zero and then install the drivers... not expecting much from it, though...

any other ideas, anyone?

4. brite750

brite750

you may just have a card that wont work right with XP, it happens. Unless someone comes up with a good driver for you you may have to buy a cheapy AGP card.

5. brite750

brite750

if you're seeing as you say traces in your bios, reset it by pulling battery for a min or so.

6. brite750

brite750

Well, i will tell you one thing, with XP you may be better off doing a fresh install, however that video card is old, unless you get XP drivers you will need a newer card.

7. Beeblebrox

I have XP drivers, but they don't work...
    Well, I'm about to get myself a copy of GTASan Andreas and I'm afraid it will be bad with a 64MB Radeon (which is the minimum requirement), so I might have to buy a new 128 or 256 MB card anyway and put the old Radeon back to where it used to be...

btw, when switching the graphics cards, we forgot that the AGP slot had a special attachment lever thing... we tried to just pull the old card out like from a PCI slot. Too much force, and something snapped... Could it have damaged the AGP slot somehow? The attachment lever was broken, but the card is holding well in place... and there's a picture on the screen, so I think that's a far-fetched theory to explain my problems... definitely a driver or software compatibility problem, I'd say...

8. analogking

analogking

"It said "you have to be logged in with administrator rights on an NT system to run this program". That's when I realized the disc was old."

Is your user account in windows XP an administrator?

9. brite750

brite750

yeah , i kinda meant ones that worked

you may have damaged it, dont know unless you try another card an that doesnt work either, you probably snapped the card lock off in the back.

10. brite750

brite750

never even thought of that, you are running XP with adimistrive rights when your uninstalling and installing drivers, right?

11. Beeblebrox

^bump^

okay. I'm ashamed to say I still haven't bought a new card or anything. Just today i noticed something new, though. I tried once again to install the drivers. It was done and it asked me to restart. I didn't restart, cause I know what would happen... I went to the Device Manager and checked the properties for my Rage Fury Pro/Expert 2000 Pro card. I went to the Details tab and it gave an error: "Error: Unable to get CDS Card Number"

Maybe that happens everytime when you have installed new drivers and not rebooted yet. I don't know, so I'm asking you...

also I've noticed this: When I have installed drivers and I'm restarting and the computer gets jammed, my keyboard isn't getting power. All leds on the keyboard shut down and i can't turn NumLock or CapsLock on or off. No response at all. Maybe I should check my network card leds, too...
    Or maybe that's just normal, too...

any new ideas you might give me?

i've considered removing the CMOS battery to reset BIOS. But is it safe to do that or should I uninstall Windows first?
    Uninstalling Windows is simply not an option. I'm not gonna go through all that installing again, no way... there's got to be another way.

12. Beeblebrox

Why do I even bother to ask whether or not something is safe? I always end up doing it before anyone answers... actually I didn't even remove the battery. I just went to BIOS and set "Load Fail-safe defaults." I saved the settings. After that, the memory test was damn slow, so I went to BIOS again and selected "load optimized defaults", saved and rebooted and suddenly the driver was working!!! I can even play games now!
    The bootup is still damn slow with the 750MHz CPU and 640MB 133MHz SDRAM... slow at least if you compare it to the speed of the 1667MHz CPU and 512MB 333MHz DDR...
    my dad claims his office computer (win XP Pro on a 450MHz CPU and 384MB RAM) loads faster...
    anyway, once it has booted, it works just perfect. Problem solved. Sorry I bothered you :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/385794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice