1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious help needed. Computer crashing with BSOD and problems starting up.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joh1, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joh1

Joh1 Thread Starter

OK, so I have had my current PC for about two years now, I have Windows 7 64-Bit and my specs are 2GB DDR3 RAM, ATI HD4870, my processor is an AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor (3.10 GHz) and I have an ASUS M4A785TD-V-EVO motherboard.

So the computer has been running perfectly from I got it about two years ago, but recently I have been having serious trouble.

Recently I upgraded my RAM to 6GB by buying two new 2GB chips. All worked fine until I was playing Skyrim for the first time. My PC suddenly froze and my headphones buzzed really loudly and a BSOD came up. I rebooted and launched Skyrim again in slightly lower settings and everything was fine for a bit. Eventually my PC started getting a BSOD on the occasional start up and eventually the problem escalated to the PC refusing to start up until about 6 or so attempts. Eventually after some research I came to the conclusion that the two pairs of RAM chips weren't working together, so I took the old chips out and left the new ones in leaving me with 4GB. The computer again ran perfectly for a couple of days until I got a BSOD again after a while and the problem once again escalated until the computer refused to boot up for several start ups. At this stage I decided the new RAM chips were faulty altogether and took them out, leaving myself with just my original 2GB of RAM. The computer again worked fine for a couple of days, but then on about the third day, the computer crashed - and from then the problem began to escalate until it was crashing a lot and eventually just not rebooting.

My brother researched the matter and believed that either the power supply (550W) was insufficient as I had too much components in my PC (I had 3 hard drives) or my hard drive was failing. I figured that the second explanation, that my hard drive was dying might be the solution and had figured this was confirmed when my hard drive seemingly did crash and my PC wouldn't boot because of a problem with my C drive. I took my C drive out and installed Windows 7 on my second hard drive and began again. Everything worked fine until today - the third day - when I just crashed with the same computer freeze and loud buzz crash as first started the problem.

I am pretty sure the problem is going to start to escalate again and that it will result in another death of my PC. I need serious help to fix this problem and I hope this is the right place to ask. Thanks for any support anyone can lend - I really want my PC back the way it was.

2. Joh1

Joh1 Thread Starter

Update: I checked my temperatures and found that my 4870 idles at 60 degrees Celsius and goes up to about 85 after gaming. Could this be part of the problem and would it fit all my symptoms?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice