1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

serious help with tcp/ip & internet/network settings

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by zeronitro, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeronitro

zeronitro Thread Starter

Hello,
    First of all some system info: My desktop system is a home built Athlon on an ASUS motherboard, with WinME.
    I'm not sure if my problem is hardware or software, but I'm pretty sure it's software.

When I open up netscape, it now gives me an akward error message saying "can not make network socket connection" - it says this whether I am online or not. IE also just won't work. This leads me to the whole online thing...
    When I dial-up, the modem connects, and goes through the normal log-on. Once it says it is connected, it basically dies. It recieves literally 400-500 bytes of info and stops doing anything. It says it is still online, but nothing works.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling everything dealing with network or tcp/ip. I even took out the ethernet card and modem and put them in different slots. I defraged the hard drive and ran WinDoctor (2002) and let it fix any windows errors it found.

Since netscape and IE are giving me error messages no matter what, I figure the problem is within windows... I just have absolutly no idea how to fix it. I've tried everything I know, and I'm all out of ideas. I would like to fix it without having to format if at all possible.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. zeronitro

zeronitro Thread Starter

I went to that site and did everything there that it said to do, minus the stuff it said to not do if you are using WinME.
    Still no luck. I get the same problem.

When I start Netscape 6 it doesn't even load, it says it cause an error in XPCOM.DLL

Netscape's 4.76 error message says:
    "Netscape was unable to create a network socket connection. There may be insufficient system resources or the network may be down."

IE says the normal message:
    "The page cannot be displayed"

I can't have insufficient system resources... i went thru msconfig and told it not to load anything I don't use or need. Plus I have 512MB of RAM.
    Under System Properties it says I have 77% System resources free.

Device manager has no hardware conflicts or problems. I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything network related (dial-up networking, tcp/ip, and network logon protocols)

I am so confused.

5. Monk_

Monk_

Those errors are saying that you do not have a TCP/IP connection to your ISP (a socket). Check that all your IP entries are correct including DNS Address and Default Gateway IP. Some ISPs require that these values are set in DialUp Networking. If your ISP does not require you set these values I would suspect a problem on their end. Have you talked to your ISP about your problem? It may be as simple as dialing a differant number to connect.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

are you running a proxy

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Don' know whether this will help any since it does sound like a windows problem...

http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns61xpcomdll.html#xpc

Have you tried doing a System Restore? If it doesn't run you will need to apply the "patch". But doing so will wipe out all restore points.

This link was also on the other page, if you didn't also do everything there, you should:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q274498

See also...

http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19980922-6.html

This is Netscape's answer to that error message, for what it's worth:

http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19980914-73.html

The Windows Dialup Adapter, by the way is rnaapp.exe so you might want to check the version of that and restore it Perhaps it is corrupt.

To eliminate any possible conflicts with programs that are loading and running at startup, go to start and run msconfig and try disabling your entire startup list for a test.

8. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

You wouldn't happen to be using Zone Alarm would you? We just went through the same problem on another forum only to find out that the "allow" settings in ZA had somehow been changed. Just a thought. KW1

9. mnymkr

mnymkr

Just wondering if you are able to "ping" any address when it seems to lock up.

10. Monk_

Monk_

I just noticed you have an ASUS mb. I had a similar problem on 2 machines with ASUS mb and PCI modems. Some modems do not support IRQ sharing. Check in Device Manager to see if the modem is sharing an IRQ with the onboard sound, I think it is IRQ11, if so move the modem over a couple of slots.
    What was happening is the modem would connect fine but as soon as a system sound played it would go stupid and lose its socket although it looked connected.
    You could also disable onboard sound to see if that clears the problem, if it does change slots with the modem.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice