1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Internet speed issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pnsmcgraw, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pnsmcgraw

pnsmcgraw Thread Starter

Okay here's a real head-scratch-er. About 2 days ago I started noticing some serious speed issues with web browsing while using my wireless router. Every once in a while I will notice little differences during what may be peak hours and whatnot, but this is far worse. I decided to do a speed and ping test and I got an F on my network that normally receives a low A or high B. I ran a gamut of spyware tests and I am clear there. Anyway, the real thing that is confusing me is I attempted to connect via a hardline (the cable I use to connect to my wireless router, so I at least know it's functional), but the network was unidentifiable and I could not get an internet connection, but when I reconnected my wireless router and let everything restart, I was able to connect wirelessly, using the same modem that would not connect me through an ethernet cable. I have a Belkin n600 wireless router and I would appreciate any help available. Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you remembering to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem when switching the device connected to it?

What download/upload do you get with a connection directly to the modem with Speedtest.net? With an ethernet connection to the router? With a wireless connection to the router?

3. pnsmcgraw

pnsmcgraw Thread Starter

Yeah I have power cycled, about 20 times now. Here is the result of the speed test with my wireless connection.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1838690093.png

I still cannot get an internet via ethernet cable to either my modem or router, so I can't really test them. However I am able to connect using my wireless network which is functioning based off the same modem and ethernet cable. It's honestly a mystery to me.

4. jmwills

jmwills

Time for some new hardware?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1045478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice