1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kids_Ranqe, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kids_Ranqe

Kids_Ranqe Thread Starter

Ok so, I've installed a 500GB internal HDD as a slave, and the master is a 250GB that came with my Dell Inspiron 530..
    I've chopped and changed between O/S's in the past, Vista to XP, to 7, Back to XP, then 7 and so on, now I'm on XP

Trying to upgrade to 7 is impossible.. I get an error:
    I have a few External HDD's lying around, I had one in while I first tried to install, took it out, then tried again, same error, took out the 500GB slave and tried to install it on the master 250GB, same error..
    So, I cannot upgrade, which I reckon would be wise since I have a GeForce 9800 GT 1GB coming in the post tomorrow..

The disc is not a faulty burn, it's an OEM disc that came with a Laptop for Windows 7.

ANOTHER really strange thing is that the computer starts twice before restarting again to boot into XP.
    The fans go loud, turns off abrupt, fans go loud again, abruptly turns off, then the fans go loud again and quickly the beep noise comes on and XP boots up :/

Anyone got ANY ideas about this?

2. TekTime

TekTime

Are you trying to install 7 on a computer that isn't licensed for the install?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

An external drive cannot be a slave--only IDE drives have master/slave designations if they are on the same channel and the external is USB. The internal drive can only be master if IDE and connected with another drive, unlikely since modern drives are usually SATA.

What does the external drive have to do with the installation? You may as well leave it disconnected until you finish the process you are trying to complete.

Where are you trying to install the OS? What is on the drive now?

It is not very clear what you have now and what you are trying to do.

4. Kids_Ranqe

Kids_Ranqe Thread Starter

I'm trying to install it to the 250GB default HDD that I've never had problems with before
    The 500GB is disconnected, it's internal, not one you connect via usb or e-sata

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!