Serious New Java Flaw Affects All Browsers in Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
I see that there is the usual 'difference of opinion' between 'experts' as to whether this particular bug represents computer Armageddon or is merely a minor glitch that won't scare the horses; http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/041010-nifty-java-bug-could-lead.html

Whatever, I assume that nervous, or merely cautious, browsers need only use Firefox with the NoScript addon to ensure that Sun Java (and JavaScript) are blocked by default.

Mumbodog

I see that there is the usual 'difference of opinion' between 'experts' as to whether this particular bug represents computer Armageddon or is merely a minor glitch that won't scare the horses; http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/041010-nifty-java-bug-could-lead.html

Whatever, I assume that nervous, or merely cautious, browsers need only use Firefox with the NoScript addon to ensure that Sun Java (and JavaScript) are blocked by default.

Better safe than sorry imho.

Your linky no worky by the way.

Too bad there isn't a "Boomer rang" app that would send the virus/maleware/ spyware ... back to the witnit that made it and type on their forehead the name of the crap so the cops can give em a "Thankyou" room. ;)

Mumbodog

Now it does, I was getting page not found, I guess its not lost anymore!

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
Wow, this is scary. I just ran a test of this exploit and Calc started on my system. Sun should get this fixed ASAP!

Peace...

anyone have any comments on the reader replies on the threatpost story? minor flaw?

tomdkat

Retired Trusted Advisor
anyone have any comments on the reader replies on the threatpost story? minor flaw?
At first, I read the comment about the flaw being restricted to Windows networks due to the address format mentioned in the article. However, the harmless test I ran used the same address format and the jar file was fetched and downloaded from over the Internet. Therefore, I think that particular person was wrong to think the address format implied a more narrow scope of exposure of this flaw.

Peace...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online