1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious problem - is it a hardware fault or software ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GVilleneuve, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GVilleneuve

GVilleneuve Thread Starter

Recently I took delivery of a new PC

Intel Pentium 4 540 "LGA775 Prescott" 3.2GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology
    Asus P5AD2 Premium 925X (LGA775) Motherboard
    Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 200GB 2000JB ATA-100 8MB Cache
    AOpen H600A Super Tower 300W PSU
    Corsair 512MB DDR2 XMS2-5400 Pro
    Windows XP Pro (already owned)

Everything was going fine until I connected to the net for the first time and got a virus that made the pc keep restarting itself and freezing up the net

As a result of this I decided to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch, nothing unusual there yes but as I had never reformatted before I by mistake tried to reinstall Windows via desktop instead of reformatting the hard drive first and that is where the problems began, when I tried to reformat the hard drive like i should have done in the first place my pc kept refusing saying that there were programs already running (the virus I guess)

Now when I try and install Windows via boot up it comes up with the following error message every time that I try and install Windows via boot up

stop; 0x0000007b (0xf898563c, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

This also happens if I change over hard drives so it can't be a hard drive problem, BIOS update has also been installed so that is running normally

So is it a) a faulty XP disc b) a problem with the motheboard c) a system virus

I need to know as it simply won't let me install Windows even after reformat or switching drives

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like the computer is not booting of the CD. You need to go into the BIOS setup when the computer first turns on, usually press F2 or DEL, and find the Boot Order. Make sure the Boot Order has the CD-ROM in the sequence before the hard drive. Then save and exit. Now when the computer starts with the XP CD in the drive it should come up and ask you to press any key to boot off the CD which is what you want to do. Then follow the onscreen instructions. You will probably want to do a new/clean install of XP so you will want to format the drive when asked.

Here's some installation guides:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
    http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/280252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice