1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Problem. No Boot/Beep/ Post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nocontact, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Hi, I was running a fine working computer and then this afternoon I attempted to install a 300GB SATA drive in it. I tried to reboot and there was nothing, no video, no beep, no post no nothing.
    The power light on the mobo is on (P800SE) the CPU fan is working (P4 3.0) the drives sound like they're spinning, the CD-RW and DVD-RW drive light up and the video card (Radeon 9200) has lights flashing too.
    So it seems that there is power, but like the topic says, no post screen, no beep, and nothing else.

I really would appreciate any help. I tried resetting the cmos, reinstalled the cmos battery, uninstalled the video card and tried rebooting after each step. The ram is seated right also. (2 X 512)

If anyone could help me find a solution to this it would be great. I don't know if it's the mobo or not, or how to test for it. Someone mentioned that I should reset the cpu but I don't know why that would make a difference at this point. :(

2. Sponsor

3. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

I would take out all the hardware and start from scratch.

Try 1 stick of memory and the graphic card only for the first shot. Do you get anything? Do you have another graphic card to try?

If the 1 stick of memory and the graphic card work try adding 1 piece at a time.

4. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

You might have a dead motherboard, but it sounds too coincidental if you just installed a hard drive at the same time, but yes as mithril said, take everything including the board out of the case and boot with one device at a time until you find the problem device.

5. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

What do you mean it sounds too co-incidental?
    Also, it was working fine before the installation.

6. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Alright, not too many people had ideas about this one but after scouring boards and posts all over I realize that a lot of people have had the same problem, especially with the Asus P800P mobo.
    So the fix I had was to check the Ram. One stick went bad somehow, during the installation maybe it got a short or something, but if I put it in the slot it won't start. Without it, the computer posts. If someone else is having this problem, try swapping out the ram, try each stick individually and maybe that'll do it.
    Good luck, this was one of the most frustrating things I've ever dealt with so hope this can help someone.

7. john@help

[email protected] Banned

i tryed replaceing my hdd to and i think you shall take to a computer repail shop
    (i had the same problem)

8. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't understand that message at all.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327278