1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious problem with reformatting a 80 gb harddrive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by senix123, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. senix123

senix123 Thread Starter

hi, i had done this many times before but have never stopped at an error like this from reformatting and installing a fresh xp on to a harddrive. I was trying to reformatt a brand new xp onto the harddrive cause for some reason the old one won't load up to desktop and it says system32/config is missing or something and needs reapir but i had try to repair several times and it freezes. So when i put the xp disc in it ask me to press f8 to agree and stuff to install windows XP just after that, it says at the bottom searching for pervious version of microsoft windows, i had restarted many times and tryed again but nothing ever happens it just says it. I even tryed leaving it to load for 14 hours and nothing happened..... im guessing something from the pervious version of windows was corrupted so it wouldnt install a fresh copy. But i really need u guys help on this. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem all i want is a fresh copy of xp on the harddrive and all the windows gone. Thanks alot =]

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Is the CD a full install version or upgrade?

3. abustiaf

abustiaf Guest

put the hard drive in another computer as a slave than format it. put it back in the original computer and then install windows. tell me if this works

4. senix123

senix123 Thread Starter

its a full installation cd, and i tryed 3 computers in the house all the same problem, i wondering if the harddrives messed up, but i just bought it a few days ago. :confused: thanks for the idea of the slave thing ill try it and ill tell u if it works

5. Frank4d

Are you sure? Because a full version should not be looking for a previous Windows version.
    Pro full $279, Pro upgrade $199, Home full $199, Home upgrade $99. Which one is yours?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Are you booting from the XP CD or inserting it while windows is running?

7. abustiaf

abustiaf Guest

actually Frank4d in the WinXP installation it searches for a previously installed version of windows (be it XP or otherwise) and if it finds one it will ask you if you want to repair it.

8. Frank4d

Except it should not be checking for a previous version and hang after pressing Enter in response to "To setup Windows XP now, press Enter.", and after F8 is pressed... unless "R" (repair) was pressed which the OP indicated he is trying to re-install, not repair. Something is else wrong or it is an upgrade version.

9. abustiaf

abustiaf Guest

In the XP installation after you press F8 (i think) it will say in the bottom of the screen "searching for a previous installation of microsoft windows" or something very similar to that (upgrade or not). Now once I myself had a bad harddrive and it got stuck at this same point (same problem as senix123).

note: I have installed Winxp on many different computers and many different versions of XP and each time it says "searching for a previous installation of microsoft windows".

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/501630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice