1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by The Maestro, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Maestro

The Maestro Thread Starter

I was told it would be better to post this message here rather than in the security section.

I have a very serious and sad problem. Everytime I attempt to boot up my computer it gets to the welcome screen with the windows logo and then shuts down. The computer itself does not turn off, however. I still hear the fan running, but everything else is shut down. (Im obviously typing from a different compute, right now)
    I took my computer to Circuit City and they diagnosed it with a virus, what kind they didnt tell me, (the guy I talked to wasnt the technician, so he didnt know what virus) They said it would be 200 $$ to fix the problem, and I said SCREW THAT, Im going to get help from my trusty and very helpful Tech Guys. I have very precious files on that computer and I just dont know what to do, Please Help.

Thank you, and who the hell would want to create a virus so you cant turn on your computer?

2. Empire2500

Empire2500

You say everything turns off (including the power light?) except the fan?

3. Augie65

Augie65

First you might try tapping F8 at boot to get the advanced options menu and select Last Known Good Configuration. This is for hardware changes, but you can try.
    Next, if that doesn't work try the same only this time select safe mode with command prompt. Log on as administrator. At the command prompt type:
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    then hit Enter. Follow the instructions to restore to a date before the problem started.

4. The Maestro

To be clear: the power is still on (the fan is still going, the power light is on, and the computer still makes that soft hum), however the monitor shuts off, and I am no longer able to engage with the computer.

5. The Maestro

I restored the computer to a previous date when everything was working, the computer turned on and everything appeared to be perfectly normal, but after about four or five minutes the computer again turned itself off. I thought for those few minutes my problems were solved, but no... my computer failed me, just like I failed to protect her.

Is it possible that this is a virus that can only be eliminated with some sort of software?

6. akro1962

akro1962

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If they said it is a virus I think we should try to find out what virus. I know I am curious.

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
    Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
    At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
    You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Why bother with all that just, tap F8 boot into safe mode then go "Run,msconfig,OK,Startup" and reboot into safe mode and run these online scanners:
    www.ewido.com
    www.bitdefender.com

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!