1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flopster, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flopster

flopster Thread Starter

Ok guys, my computer last night got infected.
    i ran a full system malwarebytes scan.
    It found around 40 objects infected.
    i removed those infections.
    Problem solved.........no
    the infections are gone but.

-i cannot launch any programs ( it comes up with "open with" box then says cannot continue. application is improperly formatted.
    -i can't open regedit.exe as it says the same thing
    -i cannot do a system restore as it says its disabled by group policy
    - i cannot open gpedit.msc (group policy) to fix that as it says it does not exist.
    -i can't download any fixes because it comes up with "open with" box again.

I seriously need some help, as i'm going round in damn circles trying to fix this.

ps. i do not have a copy of my windows disk either >.<

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

flopster, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on, (you may want to right click and use Save Target As) "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer to download the reg file fix onto a CD, thumb drive, or floppy and transfer reg the file to the problem computer rhen run it..

After that .reg file is merged into the registry successfully restart your computer.

Tufenuf

3. flopster

flopster Thread Starter

Firstly thnx for a quick response :)

I'v followed your instructions

but it comes up with registry editing has disabled by your admin.
    Now its my home computer i am the admin.

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

5. flopster

flopster Thread Starter

Ok, i'v managed to get regedit open by your last post.

i followed the rest of the instructions, restarted my comp. and nothing had changed, it all went back to how it was, couldn't open regedit again couldn't launch programs etc.

i really need to be able to get to system restore. so i need to get into group policy since it says its been turned off by it

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

7. flopster

flopster Thread Starter

Nope, still nothing.

it won't let me access system restore.
    i can't open gpedit.msc as it says it doesn't exist,
    i tried to get to system restore by command promt in safe mode but same again, says its turned off by group admin, i deleted the value in regedit.exe that it said to, but that didn't work it keeps coming back in there

8. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

flopster, Try all Methods at the link I posted in Reply #4 to get the regedit working but this time don't restart your computer. If you get it working go to Start>Run then type in regedit, click OK. Once regedit is open click on File>Import then locate that exefile fix you previously downloaded from the KellysKorner site, click it to hilte it then click the Open button. Now see if your exe files open including System Restore.

Tufenuf

9. Miggs

Miggs

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice