1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Problems....HELP PLEEEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by uniqunezz, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uniqunezz

uniqunezz Thread Starter

Hello
    I seem to have SEVERAL huge problems, the biggest being able to save my data.....
    I have had the same computer for the past 3 years. It's older and slow but has always served me well. I have recently got a new fantastic job but my home computer has become my work computer.
    When I came home the other day, i had big warnings from microsoft that my version of windows was not genuine.????I have "validated" it and updated it devotedly.
    THis puzzles me. I bought the computer as is so I don't have any specific info
    So....I can not get on line, can not burn a cd, etc etc.
    I contacted microsoft via another computer and the replied with a link to run some 'tests" - guess they missed the part where it won't go online. I will call them them but in the meantime I NEED to know how I can get my documents from the dying desktop to my laptop? So many documents, so much work.
    I cant get online, can burn a disk, wont all fit on a floppy but the laptop doesnt have that drive anyway, tried loading it on flash drive but laptop says usb flash is too powerful for it....Please help me....

2. paulb100

paulb100

what you say doesnt make much sense...??? (tried loading it on flash drive but laptop says usb flash is too powerful for it....)
    a USB stick is suffice...and I dunno about this 'too powerfull' for it?
    sounds like the PC you bought has an illegal copy of windows on it and the reason its just come on now is because the WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) check may have only just got on the PC via updates (It wasnt out 3 years ago)
    BUT it doesnt STOP you using your PC....
    too be honest I think you have Viral/Spyware issues AND a very untidy PC (Fragmented Hard Drive, Registry that is full of rubbish, General Untidynes) and some /driver incompatibility issues

YOU NEED TO 'BUY' an original license from Microsoft (or buy new disk (dont get Vista)..)
    use USB flash drive (it should work fine if your running XP) to put your documents on then
    do a fresh Re-Install of XP (they R cheap at mo as Vista is out)

This TOO POWERFULL thing ??? is the laptop running XP (I suspect not if its saying that)
    if your running Windows ME or 98 on laptop THEN you will most likley need the 'drivers' CD that comes with stick 'incase' someone 'still' has these old Operating Systems on PC

3. drumster

drumster

to be very honest, that statement, USB drive is too powerful is really funny. I mean I have never ever heard of such an error message. I believe the error u must be getting would be that, your "USB device is capable of performing faster". Which means either you have USB 1.0 or USB 1.1 installed on your computer. In that case just ignore the error message and proceed with the file transfer. It'll just be a little slow, thats it.

Ultimately if nothing seems to work, then you can buy a USB casing for a desktop HDD and put your existing Desktop HDD into the casing and connect it via USB to your laptop and knock yourself out transferring all the data.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice