1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Sound Trouble

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fredpjr, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fredpjr

fredpjr Thread Starter

I have a Computer that I have put together myself (though I'm not finished with it) AthlonXP 1600 Processor, All In Wonder 128 PCI Video Card, ECS K7S5A Motherboard....

I WindowsXP Pro Running on this and I have had audio trouble from the start (several months now) I've been using the onboard sound AC'97 Codec. The sound is a little scratchy, but music has a sort of electronic skip, especially noticable with CDs, sometimes MP3s seems to be okay. But CDs are unlistenable because of the skipping, and its not a scratch-on-the-CD type skip, its electronic and gets worse as you move the mouse around and use programs. Also, I have some AVI Video Files, and they have terrible sound as well. Its a different kind of helecoptor like reverberation with them. Possibly a different issue, but I dont think so.

Anyway, I just got a new sound card in an effort to cure the problem. Not an expensive one, an EDio Live Theater 5.1 - uses a CMI chipset, so it is at the very least different from the onboard. However, the same sound troubles remain.

I've tried different drivers, the new sound card, and I have no idea what it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the long post, but I figured I sould be thorough.

Thanks.

2. angel

angel

Not sure if this will help or not but a friend of mine was using Windows Media player for listening to cd's and was experiencing the same prob. There was no prob with any other players. She resolved it by turning off error correction (somewhere in settings).

3. fredpjr

fredpjr Thread Starter

I have trouble with Windows Media also, but I use Winamp for CDs and it Does the same thing. It seems like Windows Media player is a different kind of bad, a different kind of distortion, so I'll look for the error correction setting. But I dont think that is my only problem. Thanks.

4. fredpjr

fredpjr Thread Starter

One more thing I just found out....

Someone told me to try disableing digital playback for my CD Rom drive to fix the CD playback trouble. When I did that, the sound was good, no more skipping and such, however, it only played out of my right speaker. If anyone knows what I can do to get stereo sound along with this setting, then that would solve my problem, I think.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!