1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious trouble here.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dickster, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Tried to flash my bios on my ECS K7S5A with an overclockable bios. Something went wrong. Now my pc will not boot. Just shows flashing cd and cd-rw lights. Monitor doesn't come out of standby (amber led) mode.

Am I screwed or is there a way out of this self created mess. BTW.. can't seem to get the bios from ECS to write to floppy on my Win98 machine to try a recovery that way. Problems, problems!! :(

Thanks for any help!!

2. darkdelta

darkdelta

3. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Thanks, darkdelta. Have been there. Looked at a new bios chip, but after shipping and all, it's close to the price of a new board. Not really worth it. But appreciate the link!! :)

4. rmay635703

rmay635703

What I do when that happens is I pull the bios chip out of the board, pull the bios chip out of one of my "working" boards fold some duck tape together to make a strap put it under the bios chip and insert it back in loosely. Then I fire up the good system with the duck tape under the good bios and boot to dos. Then I pull the bios chip out and carefully put in the bad bios and flash the bios in the working board. (making sure it isn't backwords or shorting, etc,etc)

A good site that goes into this stuff in depth is

http://www.wimsbios.com

Rainbow is a good person to ask for.

Note if your a novice DON'T bother as you can kill both of your motherboards by doing this. I've done it 10 times and have gotten quite good at it but I've had a few scares.

Good Luck

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Thanks for the last reply, I've hot flashed before, but the duck tape trick is new to me. Should be a real help..

6. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, rmay635703

I'm not sure if I can hotflash the chip (and yes I'm a novice at that) with my other board chip. The good one is a K7S5A v.1 and the bad one is a Pro board. Not sure if that chip would work.

Will be checking out that site.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm assuming you've already pulled the CMOS battery out for several minutes and/or tried the CLEAR CMOS jumper on the motherboard?

Out of curiosity, what site did you download the new BIOS you tried to load?

8. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Triple6.

Yep. Used jumper to clear the cmos. Also pulled battery for about 6 hours. But no luck so far.

Got the bios from here.

http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

It's listed at the top. The honeyX bios for the pro board. While I was flashing, had a power glitch, and that interupted the flash, and left me at this point.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I might suggest the best BIOS would be from ECS - tried and tested vs. ?

Considering costs and all, it might be best to replace the entire mobo, if you go for a ASUS board it will improve the system's performance, and they're more reliable and easy to overclock.

10. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

I agree with Asus board, but $$ is a major problem right now. And I'm trying to use ECS bios to get back up, but looks like I killed the chip. Seems my only hope is to hotflash it, but I don't have access to another board with that chip.

Again, thanks!!

11. rmay635703

rmay635703

Hmm, honeyx.

I know that guy he's commonly on the pcchips lottery and on wimsbios. Remember the warning they gave when you used the bios? I believe though if you ask the folks at wims or even the lottery they will give you brand specific help, those ecs/pcchips (same place different countries) are tough little tugs.

Cheers

12. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Down to finding someone with same chip that will hotflash it or new mobo. Hope for the first!!

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When your computer starts, does it access the floppy? If so, it is possible to do a flash without anything on the screen. Post back with the answer; I have instructions for flashing a bios without any video on screen. It must however access the floppy drive during startup. See if your floppy light goes on then off.

14. dickster

dickster Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Have been trying to reflash, but no floppy LED activity. Don't think it's going to work.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One last thing to try; unplug the power cord, press power switch once or twice [to remove all power from caps] use jumper to clear cmos. If it still does not boot, then try the hot swap or a new board.

Good luck

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice