1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Windows 2000 problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by odc, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. odc

odc Thread Starter

Ok I have a major major problem with my windows 2000. Everytime I attempt to get on my DSL internet connection it says "No Modem detected, please check to make sure a modem is properly installed" I have checked it and it still says it doesnt detect a modem. I even called my Yahoo DSL service company and they couldn't figure it out either. So what do you think the problem is SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

2. Lightning

Lightning Guest

How is the modem connected to your computer? Ethernet or USB?

3. odc

odc Thread Starter

Ethernet

4. XtremeNuker

XtremeNuker

Hey dude di you use a straight ethernet cable or a cross ethernet cable to connect the modem to the PC. by right it should be a straight cable. but if yours is a modem/router than you should use a cross cable.

5. odc

odc Thread Starter

I used a straight cable, or at least I think so.... whats the difference

6. XtremeNuker

XtremeNuker

If you used a cross cable than it might not work in ethernet we say that x-cables are sued to connect evices of the same family and straight different family but remember router and PC are the same family ... more info check out

http://alex.orbitalspuds.com/lan/lan.html

7. a1tender

a1tender

hello try a new cable. i know it sound dumb (the ends do go bad ) real easy

8. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi odc,
    Do you see the Modem in Device Manager (Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device manager) ??
    Does it show any conflicts (yellow circle with a ! in it )??
    Right click the modem, Properties, not sure what tab it is under , but there is a place to query the modem. See if it queries it.
    Also the modem could be bad.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It will help if you post your configuration ie how the modem is connected, do you use a router or switch, is the modem connected directly to the computer, etc.

Did your dsl ever work and if so did you make any changes either hardware or software?

BTW a crossover cable is used to connect pc to pc directly without a hub, switch, router, etc. That is the only use for a crossover cable.

10. Lightning

Lightning Guest

You do not need to install drivers for a modem connected to your computer via ethernet. It will not show up in device manager. You should be able to connect the modem to your ethernet card and be on line.

It sounds like you're trying to make a dial-up connection. You probably need to adjust your Internet connection settings

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/288061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice