Serious Windows XP Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cummins2k5

I am not sure what I did, but somehow I deleted some stuff and now most of my microsoft won't work. Windows media player does not even open, most of the system untilities are down, and internet explorer will not load java scripts etc.....I was using TweakXP and deleted some "uncessesary/empty folders", this may be what went wrong...what can I do?????

If its all gone pear-shaped try taking xp back to a restore point before you used the xptweak utility. Go to:

Control Panel
Performance and Maintenance

On top left corner there is an option for 'system restore'.

you'll have a calendar of restore points to choose from so its a fairly easy process.

Welcome to TSG by the way (y)

If Restore doesn't work make sure you can boot from your CD and reboot with your XP CD in the drive. let it boot from your CD and follow directions to repair your installation. It will install a fresh copy of Windows over your present one and will not lose any information.

The one thing that most of those "cleaning"programs fail to tell you right up front is that some of those "unecessesary/empty folders" are in fact necessary.
Here are a couple of things you can do that might help:
1)Follow ian.t's advice and try system restore
If that doesn't work:
2)Check the Tweak program to see if it kept a backup of deleted files and restore from there
If that doesn't work:
3) Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom
If that doesn't work
4)Chuck in your xp cd and do a repair,keeping in mind that you will have to go again to Microsoft for all patches and service packs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online