1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious Windows XP Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cummins2k5, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cummins2k5

cummins2k5 Thread Starter

I am not sure what I did, but somehow I deleted some stuff and now most of my microsoft won't work. Windows media player does not even open, most of the system untilities are down, and internet explorer will not load java scripts etc.....I was using TweakXP and deleted some "uncessesary/empty folders", this may be what went wrong...what can I do?????

2. ian.t

ian.t

If its all gone pear-shaped try taking xp back to a restore point before you used the xptweak utility. Go to:

Control Panel
    Performance and Maintenance

On top left corner there is an option for 'system restore'.

you'll have a calendar of restore points to choose from so its a fairly easy process.

Welcome to TSG by the way (y)

3. roban

roban

If Restore doesn't work make sure you can boot from your CD and reboot with your XP CD in the drive. let it boot from your CD and follow directions to repair your installation. It will install a fresh copy of Windows over your present one and will not lose any information.

4. rude

rude

The one thing that most of those "cleaning"programs fail to tell you right up front is that some of those "unecessesary/empty folders" are in fact necessary.
    Here are a couple of things you can do that might help:
    1)Follow ian.t's advice and try system restore
    If that doesn't work:
    2)Check the Tweak program to see if it kept a backup of deleted files and restore from there
    If that doesn't work:
    3) Click start/run

Type: SFC /scannow

Note the space between SFC and /

keep your xp cd handy in case you're asked to chuck it into your cd rom
    If that doesn't work
    4)Chuck in your xp cd and do a repair,keeping in mind that you will have to go again to Microsoft for all patches and service packs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice