1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Serious wireless problems. Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by splagl, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

I have been having problems with my internet for a long time and I am finally going to ask for help to fix it. My internet keeps going off and on. Sometimes it would work great but then a few minutes later it would be off again or very, very slow. Sometimes other computers on the network wont even be able to connect. This is very frustrating. Please Help.

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Is your router at least WEP protected? Other people may be connecting and stealing your bandwith or the router is in a bad spot. How good is the connectivity throughout your network?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's difficult to help with a network that you haven't described? :)

ISP? Modem? Router? Type(s) of connections to computers? Description of problem--which computers are experiencing it, etc.?

4. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

Yes my router is WEP protected. My router is on the main floor and the other computers are very close to it. I really don't know what is going on. I had an old modem and exchanged it at rogers but that didn't help at all.

5. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

Oh sorry. My ISP is Rogers. The router is WRT350N Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link. It has a wireless connection. It happens to all the computers that use the network. My internet keeps going off and on. Sometimes it would work great but then a few minutes later it would be off again or very, very slow. Sometimes other computers on the network wont even be able to connect.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

One thing you could do,perhaps,is go to the router manufacturer's site and see if there are any current firmware downloads for your model.That might eliminate firmware as a source of your troubles.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And after the firmware upgrade the next thing to look for is wireless interference; starting with 2.4Ghz cordless phones and other wireless networks on the same or close channel. Try channels 1, 6 and 11.

Are all your adapters 'n'? Compatible with the router? If "no" to either of those questions have you tried using 'g' only mode on the router to see if that helps?

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Here is something I found while hacking around.Found a lot of unfavorable comments about the router and supporting firmware and updates.
    This does not sound real comforting.
    Hope it helps

Fix for WRT350N hang problem
    Options Options
    350n_user
    Frequent visitor

350n_user

Message 10 of 10

Viewed 511 times
    1 rating - 1.0 average

I'm afraid I found the basic problem with all WRT350N units: Heat

As my unit was out of waranty anyway, I decided to open it and sniff around, as I'm an Electrical Engineer and I've designed many routers and high end communication equipment.

The first thing I noticed after I removed the outer silver shell on both sides is that the router itself is enclosed in yet another plastic box (this prevents good ventiation to components). By taking this inner box apart I exposed the guts of the router. To my surprise, there was tons of copper tape all over the board, like bandages...Most likely this was necessary to curb RF emissions and pass FCC certification. Again this keeps the heat trapped inside and components cooking up as I could tell just by touching them and nearly burning my fingers.

To reduce design time and leaverage other Linksys products, the wireless portion turned out to be nothing more than a standard PCMCIA card in its original metal enclosure, stuck in a cheap socket and resting on top of the main board, with very little heat dissipation material. It was also very hot to the touch and most likely it was operating (or trying to...) at a much higher temperature than it was designed for.

The fix: In order to keep the components cool, I discarded all original plastic case and mounted the board directly on the back of my desk, leaving enough space on the bottom for air flow. I then attached a 12V DC fan blowing directly on it, for added cooling. I did the same thing with the DSL modem.

I have never have a lock up again or lost internet connectivity since then.

Try this at your own risk though... Good Luck
    11-07-2007 07:34 PM

9. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. The only reason why i got this router was that I know someone who works at Linksys and got this router for me at a cheaper price. When I tried updating the firmware it couldnt connect to the server.

10. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

Also it is a N router and all my cards are G. I was told that it would all work together and be fine. If i were to change it how would i do all of it and everything?
    Thanks

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

802.11n (draft) routers/adapters work fine with 802.11g equipment, I have a mix of that here.

The heat issue is real in some of these devices, I'd consider just taking a fan and blowing it directly on the router to see if that makes a difference.

12. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

Is there anything that i can do on my computer to possibly make it work better?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "Is there anything that i can do on my computer to possibly make it work better?"

If 'it" is your computer, that's a very general question, and seems out of place in this thread about your network/router problem. The only things we don't know about your computer and its operating system and what use you make of it and what problems you are experiencing are, well, everything. How could we possibly respond in any kind of reasonable way?

If "it" is the router, not from what we know about the problem so far.

Did the fan make any difference with the router?

14. splagl

splagl Thread Starter

Oh my computer was not the it, I was referring to the router. The fan did seem to make a little difference my speed is higher but it still cuts out frequently, but not as often.
    Thanks.

15. pedroguy

pedroguy

Your results seem to point to the router as suspect.Is there any way,physically in your network that you could take the router out of the mix and direct connect a pc to the modem and run for say an hour or at least the length of time that you normally experience the problem just to make sure that this is not an isp/modem issue?
    If you do this,power off the modem first as this will require a modem "reset"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice