Serious XP problem, most .dll files gone...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XboxGuy15

Hey everybody,
I'm fixing a friend's computer and she said it asked for a password when she never made one for herself or the administrator (thats just the tip of the iceberg). So, finally we manage to get in, without a password, so the first thing I did was go into the user account and make the administrator account just a simple password incase it asked. But that wasn't the serious problem. I would say roughly 50 boxes poped up saying "(whatever).exe cannot run. This appilcation has failed to start becuase (whatever).dll was not found. Re-installing may fix the problem." (She bought it from ShopNBC, it came with a lot of freeware stuff). I go to system restore to try again... and system restore doesn't work. I try to go to the task manager, and I get "taskmgr.exe cannot run. This application has failed to start because iphlapi.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

Anyway, no internet or anything. Any ideas on how to even start to fix this? I mean, one or two .dll files I would try to find the replacement files on google, but not this many. Internet does not work, also.

Hi XboxGuy15,

I am assuming the O/S is WinXP Home w/SP2?

The main point is, does she have an Installation CD or just a recovery CD, or either?

You could try this first. Go to Start/Run & type chkdsk /f (Note the space between k & /).
You will be taken to Command Prompt & enter Y. Reboot & chkdsk will start.

If that does not help, you will need the Installation CD in order to run System File Checker. If you have the CD, first go to Start/Run & enter sfc /scannow (Note the space between c & /). It will ask for the CD be inserted in you CD ROM drive.

Let us know how you get along please.

Regards,

Hawk

XboxGuy15

Its WinXP home with SP1.

chkdsk doesn't work.

She never receved a Installation or recovery CD.

I have a brand new Windows XP home SP1 Installation disk that came with my new computer (never used it). It didn't come with her computer, but can I use it to run System File Checker anyway?

XboxGuy15 said:
Its WinXP home with SP1.

chkdsk doesn't work.

She never receved a Installation or recovery CD.

I have a brand new Windows XP home SP1 Installation disk that came with my new computer (never used it). It didn't come with her computer, but can I use it to run System File Checker anyway?
I take it that your computer came with the O/S installed & is the same as the CD? If so, it is still registered to you & it can only be installed on one computer. I do not see any reason you can't use it for System File Checker. When you start the process & insert the CD, it may come up on the screen. If it does, just exit & SFC should continue.

Regards,

Hawk

XboxGuy15

Did has Hawk1 said. Used my O/S disk. Ran the file checker... didn't work.

Anyway, she's just going to call ShopNBC (the shopping TV channel where she got it and complain. They claim to have good customer service)

Hi again XboxGuy15,

I would have thought that at the very least, she would have been given a System Recovery CD. Of course, an Installation CD would be better but a lot of retailers no longer supply them

Might let us know how she gets along with ShopNBC. Good luck.

Regards,

Hawk

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What brand computer is it ?
Some have a recovery partition and you're supposed to make your own recovery CDs or DVDs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online