1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seriously confused Network!!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by scooby_steve, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scooby_steve

scooby_steve Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I've got a weird crazy problem on a peer to peer LAN and was hoping someone could give me some pointers

I've got 4 PC's, 1 alcatel USB Modem/Router connected to a Netway switch of which the 4 PC's are attached.

PC A:Machine Name: 1703, IP ADDRESS (as shown by IPCONFIG):10.0.0.3,
    PC B:Machine Name: 3413, IP ADDRESS (as shown by IPCONFIG):10.0.0.4,
    PC C:Machine Name: 3185, IP ADDRESS (as shown by IPCONFIG):10.0.0.5,
    PC D:Machine Name: 3333, IP ADDRESS (as shown by IPCONFIG):10.0.0.6,

Machines A,C run win98SE. Machine B runs winME and Machine D runs XP Pro.

When I go to ping Machine B,C,D from A by using their relevant IP addresses, all replies are fine. This is the same situation for all computers, no matter which computer i am pinging from.

When I go to ping Machines B,C,D from A by using their relevant names, I get "pinging 0.0.6.167" and then request timed out errors. This is the same situation for all computers, no matter which computer I am pinging from. the only difference is the address of "pinging 0.0.6.167" is different for each computer.

Lastly, I can browse these computers via "my network places/ Network Neighbour Hood" without issue. I can also "search for computers" and will detect the relevant computer on the network.

Where should I start looking? Could it be the routing table in the modem/router? Off the top of my head, i dont there was anything in there that resembled those addresses.

any help would be great. Thanks

regards
    Steve

2. blin

blin

sounds like DNS issue. you may want to use nslookup to check the DNS status. For more information, visit www.howtonetworking.com.

3. scooby_steve

Hi blin,

I've gone to the site you'd indicated but wasnt able to resolve this problem..

I've changed the alcatel modem/router and switch/hub to an all in one D-Link modem/router 4 port but I am still getting the same problems.

This network did have ICS prior to them getting ADSL so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. All PC's look like ICS has been removed correctly.

Any more help would be much appreciated. thank you.

Regards
    Steve

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you document what all the IP address information each computer has. This would be the IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS address.

Since you changed the router, that is likely not part of the problem. Also 98 and ME don't have any DNS caching so there's not much to do in regards to that on those computers.

Can they get to the Internet. Didn't see if that was mentioned.

5. scooby_steve

Hi Bob,

post of one of the machine's IPCONFIG is as follows:

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-07-E9-B8-C9-18
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
    Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 02 10 05 12:16:55 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 02 10 05 2:16:55 PM

All other machines would be very similiar, the only difference being the IP ADDRESS.

Also after I put the other modem/router in for testing, all the machines seem to continue getting IP addresses in the 10.1.1.x range (range that the test modem/router was set to) instead of the 10.0.0.x range which the current modem/router is allocated. I've tried release and renew but to no avail. There's is even a entry within the IP routing table. I've tried deleting this entry but i lose internet connectivity and it will somehow re-add itself to the routing table after about 5 mins.

In the My network neighbourhood -->Properties --> TCP/IP - Intel pro 100 -->, I've got WINS to use DHCP for WINS resolution and DNS to be disabled. DNS is done via the modem/router.

Also, I am able to use the internet and emails (outlook etc) without issue. Any help would once again be much appreciated. thank you.

Regards
    Steve

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Do you know why the computers have a different IP scheme that your router? Normally this is not how things are configured.

So for example, if your router (gateway) has an IP address of 10.0.0.138, why not just configure you computers with 10.0.0.x (rather than 10.1.1.x).

Also, why before are there 10.0.0.x addresses being shown. Has something now changed?

This might not be your entire problem but generally the simpler the configuration the easier it is to troubleshoot.

7. scooby_steve

Hi Bob,

No I dont know why the PC's get different IP ranges to that of the router. I only got this problem after I put in a different modem/router (which had IP of 10.1.1.1). When I found out that hardware wasnt the fault of this pinging problem, I installed the original modem/router (having IP of 10.0.0.138). I have tried IPCONFIG /release and renew but still continue getting IP addresses in the range of 10.1.1.x. What so funny is that I can still browse the net, check email via outlook, browse shared files on the LAN and ping (both URL and modem/router) without any problems. The IP routing table of the original modem/router somehow automatically gets an entry for these IP addresses.

NOTE: I can ping URL's and modem/router but not hostname's of PC of which I know are on the LAN. If I try to ping a hostname which is not on the network, I get the correct error message of "unknown host file". eg. If I try pinging machine "GEORGE" of which I know is not on the network, I get "unknown host" or something similiar. If I ping "A", which I know is a hostname of a PC on the LAN, I get pinging 0.0.x.x.

Now, I've really got a very seriously confused network.

Thanks again Bob

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

This last little bit of information seems somewhat relevant - I only got this problem after I put in a different modem/router (which had IP of 10.1.1.1).

Can you confirm what the router's IP address is. Also a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 will maybe let you get around all this. But it is certainly a bit more complicated of a configuration. Generally these are more difficult to solve. Double check what the subnet mask is on the router as well.

Also, can you confirm that the computers are set to obtain an IP address automatically.

9. scooby_steve

Hi Bob,

I've stumbled across something new... I have connected one of these (the winME machine) to a different network. This winME machine is still getting IP address via DHCP. what i notice is that I still cant ping the hostname of this winME. I continue to get pinging 0.0.x.x. Thus, this problem is local to the machine and not to the router as I originally thought. This problem is also consistent with the two Win98SE machines also.

Lastly, I've tried doing a winsock repair and have tried removing TCP/IP (repair) and DUN but still no luck.

So, is there anywhere in ME or 98SE that I cant check to make sure that the FQDN/hostname has the correct mapping to the IP address it is given from the DHCP? any help would be much appreciated. THank you.

Regards
    STeve

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Never seen that one before. Have you tried searching the registry for that IP address. Just as a possible way to find a solution.

11. scooby_steve

Hi Bob,

I've found another weird problem... I decided to remove the current hdd in that machine and re-install winME on another hdd. In this new install all i've got is a fresh install of winME and drivers for the m/board (the m/board being an intel board with onboard video,sound,Lan). I gave the machine the same host name and when i tried pinging it (after setup was completed) i still got pinging 0.0.x.x.

so without any programs apart from windows and intel m/board drivers i'm still getting the pinging 0.0.x.x problems... I'm pretty sure i tried drivers for LAN already. NOTE: this is even before any winupdates etc.

Hope you can help me out..

steve

12. Dave Danger

Dave Danger

Had a very similar problem on my own Peer-to-peer network with a variety of XP and 98 machines. Every unit was capable of internet connectivity, and shared browsing was available between most machines. My problem was in pinging all machines from one to another in an effort to resolve the few shared directories that were refusing to work. I finally found that my Norton (Symantec) Internet Security Firewall was not allowing me to browse completely. I had to go into my "Personal Firewall" configuration settings, and place my entire range of possible network IP's in the "trusted Zone". Solved my problems.
    I don't remember seeing what you had for a firewall, but it's worth checking into.

Dave Danger

13. scooby_steve

Hi Dave and Bob,

Dave, thanks for your input... I dont have Norton's firewall but i do have bullguard anti-virus and firewall... I have checked the settings for these and all looks good.. so thanks..

Bob, you are seriously gonna kick my butt... I found out what the problem was.....

It was that I had numbers at the front of my hostnames thus, when i tried pinging the hostname, the machine kept thinking it was an address rather than a hostname..... Thanks so so much bob..

Regards
    STeve

14. Dave Danger

Dave Danger

Good Find Scooby Steve!

Dave

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice