serv Pack 2 question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lancerx

I just wanted to know if it is worth to install it, i know it got so many security issues but i have firewall, mcafee,spywareguard, spyboot, etc installed wich give me security for my pc.

thank you.

Hi,
Here's my opinion:

- If you can manage to install it on your PC without any problems, then you are gaining a lot because aside from the obvious enhancements in SP2 (Windows Firewall, PopUp Blocker, Automatic Updates), there are lot of in-depth changes in core system files as well as a lot of buffer overrun fixes that prevent unauthorized access to your PC, such exploits in known Windows System files cannot be compensated for by just using a firewall and anti-virus program, also lots of problems solved in driver-related issues...

- Due to the massive change in system files (what else could warrant a 266.01MB download?), many programs will require updates to function correctly under XP SP2's DEP (Data Execution Prevention), this little gizmo here prevents viruses from executing in memory, thus adding an extra layer of defense against those viruses as well as fixes for the Blaster worm vulnerability (DCOM)...

More details here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];811113

See advice about installing SP2 in this thread:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=274328

lancerx, What you really needs to do is go to the search function and type in SP2 and then read each and every thread. And make your decision based on that. Yes, I have installed FINALLY but you will read how I did it in one of those threads. Liz

lancerx

Thank for the reply

I think i´m going to stay with the current Sp1 mean while

lancerx

southernlady said:
lancerx, What you really needs to do is go to the search function and type in SP2 and then read each and every thread. And make your decision based on that. Yes, I have installed FINALLY but you will read how I did it in one of those threads. Liz
Ok, my apoligize for asking and searching first.

Oh, no problem but if you had searched...I think you would have answered your own question :D Liz

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online