1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server 08 R2 on 32-bit

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Callum_Dawson, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson Thread Starter

Is there no way whatsoever of running Windows Server 2008 R2 on a 32-bit machine? I was reading this article, and would that mean it's possible to run it via VirtualBox?

2. centauricw

centauricw

You can do this only if the CPU supports 64-bit operating systems (i.e. you installed a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU). If the CPU is only 32-bit, then, no, it's not possible to run a 64-bit OS even as a virtual machine. Even though an OS runs in a virtual machine, it will still run it's code on the physical CPU. The VM software plays traffic cop, but ultimately you must have a CPU that supports the virtual machine OS.

3. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. The only reason I want to use R2 (as oppose to the original) is because it has Group Policy objects for Windows 7 (whereas the original just has Vista). Is there any program or Windows Update(s) that append Windows 7 policies to the Active Directory Group Policy? Otherwise, the only alternate option is to make lots and lots of registry modifications to the network machines, upon user login.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice