1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

server 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kwickcut, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kwickcut

kwickcut Thread Starter

i am not sure if anyone can help me but hear it is in a nut shell!!!!!

i have server 2000 advanced on a 1.33 amd and 1 gig ram with 15 gig hd. i have the domain docked at dnspark and have it set up as dymanic and have a program called dynsite for windows that updated the ip for the domain name and that program is fully updated so it does see the changes in the ip..

this is what i have done so far.. i have loaded the site i want to host to C/inetpub/wwwroot. now i was told once that was done i should be able to see the site online but i can not and after 2 weeks for trying everything i can think of i am at a loss.. now there is one more thing i have this server behind a router and have opened ports 80 and 81 as the manufactor said these are needed to be open to host websites and still no go... so as it goes i need help real bad thanks in advance to anyone who can help

i have this behind a router and have set the fowarding. what i did was opened the admin for router then went to advanced then fowarding in there under ext. port i made it 80 to 81 and have checked Protocol TCP and Protocol UDP and in IP Address Enable i placed the ip for the server .. now i have tryed to log onto the site from the server and all i get is redirected to a search engine.. now i have not set up anything else and really dont know how to but really want to learn thanks

kwick

2. kwickcut

kwickcut Thread Starter

can anyone help me or point me in the direction of help thanks

kwick

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Did you do the following. Whomever you registered your domain with, you need to specify the Name Servers with them as well. Whoever is doing your dynamic DNS, find out what there name servers are and put that into your domain registrar.

Just one other thought. Can you get to the website by typing in your WAN IP address. If you can't then something is screwed up with your router or server.

Also, when you are on the server can you get to the website by typing this into your browser: http://localhost

4. kwickcut

kwickcut Thread Starter

thanks for the info.. i am the one who has repointed the DNS .... the program dynsite for windows is seeing the change in the dns and is fully updated so it is talking to dsn park to my pc and it see the domain name and has updated the ip....

now QUOTE Just one other thought. Can you get to the website by typing in your WAN IP address. If you can't then something is screwed up with your router or server.END QUOTE no i can not i have tryed sever times and no go

and for the last question same answer no i cant.... but i know that the server is ok because i had some help viea remote access and a friend had the site up but not fully most pages appeared but not all so i started all over and now i cant get anything and the guy that helped is no longer online thanks for the input

kwick

5. kwickcut

kwickcut Thread Starter

can anyone point me in the direstion of a site that may be able to help me with the server thanks

kwick

6. Rockn

Rockn

Is this Win2K server or workstation? I don't think that the port forwarding is going to work if your WAN address changes. Once the WAN interface changes the NAT rule would no longer be valid. Have you specified the default web page and IP address in IIS and actually defined the site? You cannot just throw the pages in wwwroot and expect it to start serving web pages.

7. kwickcut

kwickcut Thread Starter

no i have not i was told that i did not have to do that unless it was a huge site i am very new and know nothing i am sorry... but if there is a read me or how too i am always willing to read and try..... i have gotten to defalt web site and clicked the + and i see IIS help, ISS admin and ISS samples i am not sure wat to do or even how to start thanks for your help and patience so far some day i will be able to do this thanks

kwick

8. Rockn

Rockn

You need to create a new web outside of the default web site in IIS Admin. You also need to give your NIC another LAN IP address(you can assign as many as you want to a NIC) in the TCP/IP settings so it won't conflict with your DNS and AD stuff. Place your web site files in a folder on the server outside of the wwwroot. Right click on the server icon and select New > Web site and click next and give it a descriptive name. Next you will get a pulldown list of IP addresses available to assign to your web site. Next you enter the path to your web site files you placed on the server. Next are the access permissions..leave them alone if you are doing a plain jane web site. Finish up. The last thing you would need to do is specify a default document(index.html or whatever you named your home page) Go to the site you just freated and right click and select properties and navigate to the documents tab and enter the name of your default page and move it to the top. Start the web site and test it by entering the IP address into your browser.

9. NewtonW

NewtonW

If it will make you feel any better, the only way I've ever been able to get IIS to work properly is to pass through the router (IP passthrough). I never have been able to get NAT settings on my router to work for http.. Now I can get my FTP site to work, but not http..

-Newton

10. kwickcut

kwickcut Thread Starter

thanks i will try that and get back to ya thanks again one more thing does that mean take all of the site files and folder out of the wwwroot folder or do i leave them in there ? from what i read in your post sounds like i remove them and place in a new folder

kwick

11. kwickcut

kwickcut Thread Starter

Rockn you ROCK THANKS
    that was wat i needed this site is great i will have to start doing wat you all do thank you soooooo verry verry much

kwick

12. kwickcut

kwickcut Thread Starter

i finially got it to show using the url thanks this site rocks i hope this link is ok its the site in the discussion its a tae kwon do site thank you so much my master will be very happy :D :D :D please let me know what ya all think its a work in progress i am working on making a template so all the pages will be the same setup and color soon to come lol time to take a month off for now

http://www.disciplesofmartialarts.com/

kwick

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Wow, you got some terrible upload speed. Just some suggestions.
    Make your pictures smaller or a different resolution.
    Some of your backgrounds are black and some are white. Pick one.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!