1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jayj, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jayj

Jayj Thread Starter

I just installed server 2000 on my machine. I was wondering if someone could tell where I could get instructions on how to use the software. I would like to setup a server so that my brother-in-law can access my server from maryland obviously through the internet.

I need instructions how to set up the software etc. Can anyone help me out?

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy Jayj...

What kind of access do you want to give your brother in law?

FTP, Web access, VPN etc...

3. Jayj

Jayj Thread Starter

I want to set this up as web server. We want to play around creating web pages etc.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

5. Jayj

Jayj Thread Starter

I have yahoo dsl. That article looks like it will give me a good start. Then in order for him to access I would have to create an account for him, correct. I have never set up a server before so this is good practice for my schooling I am taking as well. Do you know of any other sites that have good information of how to use server 2000. I appreciate your help.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Does your DSL modem act as a router?

Because you may have to foward some ports to the server...

Depends...What else do you want to use it for...

Don't remember setting up an access account on my web server, I think that would be handled by the webpage (not sure on that though, there may be a way to setup an access account, just haven't looked)...

7. Jayj

Jayj Thread Starter

I have a wireless router that plugs into my dsl modem.

Basically we want to set up a web server for some experiments. He needs to be able to make changes to the web pages etc that we create. I just thought he would need an account to have this type access. Also where does nat come into play to change my local ip into a internet ip that he can access. Or was this discussed in the link you sent me.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ahhh...

The plot thickens :D...

It would be easier to setup a web and FTP server for this...

I use Filezilla FTP server http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/ ( it's actually easier and faster and more realible than trying to fight with 2000 server's ftp server, and free )...

Where NAT comes into play you will need to log into the wireless router and use port forwarding to forward the ports to the web server and the FTP server (after you get them set up )...

You don't really need an account for the website but you will need one for the FTP server...

IMHO what you'll need to do is to setup the web server, and FTP server, your brother in law can download the web pages make changes, then upload them to the server via FTP...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!