1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

server 2003 domain

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xshellacx, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xshellacx

xshellacx Thread Starter

Hello and thank you in advance.

Very simple set up; home network for training purposes. Network presently consists of: one domain controller (dell server w/2 nics) 2wire cable modem/router from ATT uverse (5 static IP addresses......actually "sticky static" ip addreses) a dumb hub, and 5 potential workstations.

The modem/router is currently configured as such:
    IP Address 99.37.x.x
    Subnet Mask 255.255.252.0
    Default Gateway 99.37.x.1
    Primary DNS 68.94.156.1
    Secondary DNS 68.94.157.1
    With a "user defined supplemental network" of
    Router Address 108.80.x.x
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.248
    I was assigned 5 "stickey static" IP addresses 108.80.x.5-----108.80.x.10

The problem is that I can not get a workstation to join the domain as long as I'm configured for ATT's network
    I've tried allow NIC1 to obtain it's "sticky static" ip address from the router/modem and configured NIC2 statically with a 192.168 address. The domain controller is also set up as a DHCP server so in theory a workstation can be configured for DHCP, and once authenticated get it's ip info. I keep getting domain controller for the domain can not be contacted........

I tried losts of various settings using one and both NICs. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them

Thanks!!

JP

2. tlman12

tlman12

can you ping the server by name or ip address from the client computer?

3. xshellacx

xshellacx Thread Starter

I can ping the workststion from the server; I can see the server from the workstation by browsing network, I can NOT ping the server from the workstation

4. tlman12

tlman12

that is strange that can see the server and not be able to ping it.... but that would be the reason you can't find the domain.
    are they connected in the same LAN? wireless or wired?
    does the server have a firewall enabled? if so you can try disabling it and see what happens

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Have you installed DNS on the server?
    Is the servers DHCP Server set to give the Server address (the 192.168.x.x address as their DNS server
    Are the clients using the Server address (the 192.168.x.x address) as their primary DNS server?

6. xshellacx

xshellacx Thread Starter

DNS is installed on the server

server ip address (nic2) 192.168.0.2 DHCP on server set to give 192.168.0.2 as DNS for clients. Still not working, same error

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice