1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

server 2003 folder redirection and security policys

Discussion in 'Networking' started by charlieyn3, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlieyn3

charlieyn3 Thread Starter

i have a server running on 2003 and 14 clients i have tried configuring folder redirection but the foldders are not being redirected to the same folder. i partitioned my hard disk on the server and i redirect them to the partion named shared. is it a must to follow the UNC (universal naming convention)

i also want to create a OU named students that i will be able to set security settings for this OU like when to log in and what options they can get and what they cant do on the network

all the clients run windows XP service pack 2.
    1. i want the olders to be redirected to one location
    2. i want any user to log on on any client machine and be able to get the same settings as configured when he last logged on
    please help

2. Sponsor

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yes your going to want to use a UNC path for folder redirection -

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/ar...e-Folder-Redirection-Windows-Server-2003.html

You mention wanting to make a Students OU, as long as the user accounts and then computers are both in this OU anything you assign both to user configuration and computer configuration as long as limitations will be in place.

If one or the other is not in that OU some things may not get applied.

4. charlieyn3

how do you use UNc when u installed it on a partion ?? like partion d? so when i go to the GPO editor i chnge the user config and comp config??? for my OU?? will this apply on the OU because it could not affect one of the clients i tested the GPO's with?

THE QUESTION IS ------- so i have to create an OU named students then in that same OU create the computers for the students??in the same OU named students ? will that make the GPo work?

5. charlieyn3

so does it ean when i create an OU named students i also have to move the computers from the AD users and computers to this OU??

Help
    Stumpedtechy thanks for the help

realy apreciate

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

UNC is \\server\share if you made the directory on the D drive just share out the directory you made.

As far as the GPOs what you can do is seperate the computers into one OU and the users into another OU and in the users OU make a User based GPO with all security settings and in the compupters ou set all the computer based GPO settings. Or you can combine both computers and users in one OU and have a single GPO that affect both users and computers.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826275