Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

server 2003

2K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
First of all, Happy holidays to all of the techguy support techs that are here for us 365 days a year. Second I need help, I run the network for my company honestly and I am learning how to by coming to techguy site and read the forums, but is my responsibility to stop people from the outside to log into our system. Currently we have a credit collection company located in another city, they log into our system anytime they want, I need to restrict their access, as of now, there is no restriction meaning they can access anytime anywhere. When I was working for another company there was this windows that open asking for your log and password in order for us to have access. how can I do that with the server I manage? also everytime I reboot the system the IP address get changes and that creates a problem, since we access the data base via IP address. Can anyone help me with this issue?

thank you much

Jaime

#2 ·
Well, the dynamic IP address is easy, just configure DynDNS and you'll have a fixed URL that maps to the dynamic Ip address.

The other issue of login should be cured by creating user accounts and changing the permissions.

Exactly how do the other folks login over the Internet? Are you using Terminal Services?

#3 ·
Thank you for your quick response. Ok the first part I will do easily thank you. Here is the picture of the loing security.

I have a new server windows 2003. Our data base is in this server. We have 11 pcs in the building and we all access the data base ( server) via telnet, we type the ip address of the server and there we are.

However we have one outside company that does the collection for us and they access our system via Internet by typing the server ip address.

what I need to learn to do is to have the system ask for an ID and password, this way only users outside our building that I allow can access our system.

We all access the internet via time warner router. ( dsl) but we do not go through the server to access the internet at all.

Please advice

thank you!

Jaime

#6 ·
I wll read the faq. Yes it does. but I want the outside company to be prompt to enter the password and ID. that way they will only be able to access our system from 8 to 5. Now all they do is they enter the Ip address and they are connected to our system.

What I really trying to do is to have the server more secure then what it is now.

Jaime

#7 ·
I'd consider a router that limits connections coming in during those hours. Even many SOHO routers have restrictions that you can program by time, you can just block Telnet outside of those hours.

#9 ·
If I get this right, the router is the gateway to the Internet, and all the internal machines and your server are connected to the router, correct?

What it the exact model, hardware revision, and firmware version running on that router?

#11 ·
That router doesn't appear to offer scheduled access, I think I'd consider an upgrade. Truthfully, I'd be seriously considering something more in the business class of routers, though many of the more upscale SOHO units will do this as well.

#15 ·
SOHO - Small Office Home Office

SOHO routers are the plain $30-$100 models you'll find from many manufacturers. I'd look at some of the ones closer to $100 and check the User's Manual for the capability for filtering incoming requests on a schedule.

#17 ·
Just make sure you check in advance to see if it has the capability. I know my D-Link DIR-615 and the ZyXEL NBG-415N both support incoming schedules, so my assumption is most similar products would as well. Obviously, you really should check before plunking down your money. :D

#21 ·
Depending on what the input to the router is, you may have to configure the WAN interface. What's the exact make/model of the modem you use, and what is the ISP?

#23 ·
You need something like a proxy server to filter the connections if you want to control specific sites. Many routers have exclusion lists, but they're not very comprehensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.