1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Server 2008 R2 Delayed Context Menu in Devices & Printers

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Lasimo, Aug 1, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Lasimo

Lasimo Thread Starter

I am installing 10 new replacement printers on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. They are a mixture of Kyocera and HP laserjets. I uninstalled all the old Kyocera printers then installed the new HP and Kyocera printers using the latest drivers from each manufacturer's website. The printers were working without issue. I then shared each of the printers and was going to start creating group policy preferences rules when I tried to right click on one of the printers in Devices and Printers and I had to wait around 140 seconds before the context menu appeared. I then clicked 'Printer Properties' and had to wait the same amount of time before the dialogue showed.

I then uninstalled all the printers and then reinstalled just the Kyorcera printers. Same problem. I repeated the process, uninstalling the Kyocera printers and installing a single HP printer. Same problem.

I checked task manager while waiting for the right click context menu to show to find the spoolsv.exe process was showing 25 CPU. When I killed the Printer Spooler service the right click menu showed immediately. I started the service again to find the right click delay still present. Of course, when the printer spooler isn't running, I can access the Printer Properties.

I've run sfc.exe /scannow and there are no issue. Windows explorer right clicks shows the context menu without any delay, the problem only happens within the Devices and Printers window. I've cleared System32\Spool\Printers as well.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or could cast some light on this problem?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's a reach, but you might want to check if the Bluetooth Support service on your server has been disabled. This article refers to a solution.

3. Lasimo

Lasimo Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I've checked Services on the server and I can't find the Bluetooth Support service listed there. I don't believe the server has any bluetooth hardware built into it.

Is there a way to return the print spooler system files and configuration back to factory defaults without performing a rebuild of the entire server? If I remove the Print And Document Services role and then re-add it, will that return the spooler back to defaults?

4. Lasimo

Lasimo Thread Starter

After removing the Print and Document Services role from the Server Manager, everything went back to normal.

lochlomonder likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice