1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server 2008 remote desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by charlieyn3, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlieyn3

charlieyn3 Thread Starter

server 2008 remote desktop connection,

i have a fresh installation of server 2008 at home, and i would like to remotly log into it from my workplace computer, that is about 20 kms away. the client computer is running windows xp and other one windows 7. my workplace computer and home computer are currently connected to the internet using a adsl connection. how do i remotely connect to the server?

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you must do a naked RDC connection, then you'll need to set up a port forward rule on your home's firewall to allow inbound connections on TCP port 3389 to the private IP address of your Server 2008. This is assuming your place of work does not have firewall restrictions preventing RDP connections outbound from their network.

A much more secure way to do this is to set up a VPN tunnel and then run a RDP connection to the server. Or at a minimum if your work place has a static IP address is to set up a firewall rule on your home's firewall to only allow RDP connections from the IP address of your work.

3. charlieyn3

charlieyn3 Thread Starter

may i please have a step by step guide to this

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1097358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice