1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server 2K3 SBS detects 4 HP Xeon CPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jcaesar, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcaesar

jcaesar Thread Starter

I just installed a new HP Proliant Server with 2 Xeon 3.4GHz CPUs.
    The OS is Windows Server 2003 (Small Business Server) and warned that there were more than 2 processors on the machine which might cause software failures later.
    The Device Manager sees 4 Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.40GHz, and all are "working properly".

These are the 90nm process technology chips (over 3.2GHz) 64-bit with 1MB L2 Cache and no L3 cache and a 800MHz bus. The bus is running 971MHz.

The board is all PCI Express and PCI-X slots running a SCSI backbone hot-swap RAID.
    =====
    So, how do I tell it it only has two brains?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Not sure you'll get too many suggestions posting this in Business Applications, so I'm going to move you to hardware to see if folks there have some suggestions.

3. wedor

wedor

That's normal for SBS, I'll try to get you some documentation for this.

4. wedor

wedor

Here is the official MS resopnse to this,

Q. How many processors does Windows Small Business Server 2003 support?

A. Windows Small Business Server 2003 supports up to two physical CPU processors and up to four virtual CPU processors. For more information about support for multiple CPU processors, consult the Web site of your hardware manufacturer.

as found here in the FAQ's,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/generalfaq.mspx

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

Your Xeon processors have a feature called hyper-threading which makes it look like you have twice as many processors as you really have. It's normal.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice