1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server access very slow or broken

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dyw, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dyw

dyw Thread Starter

Hello! In our office, we have a bunch of XP Pro machines connecting to a Win2k server which is the domain controller as well as a file server.

Recently, it has been taking a very long time (over a minute, sometimes about 2 minutes) to log in, and we've had major trouble with the file shares -- often on one of the mapped drives it will just disconnect, and then when we try to access it, it takes a similarly long time to tell us that it can't (the local device name is in use, or some other error that is not true).

The worst is when using Office applications. Intermittently, Word, Excel, and Publisher files take about a minute to open, during which the host application is unresponsive (but does not use any CPU). At other times it works fine. Even when this does happen, I have tried using an alternate office suite like OpenOffice.org and it goes quickly. MS Office seems to be the slowest when opening.

Microsoft Access also - every little action we take, like setting the data source of a report to a query, takes 10 seconds to complete, as does opening any table/form/query/report.

As you can imagine, this annoys my entire office beyond what we can take.

The server is up-to-date.

I did some testing, and found that when storing files on a different computer (i.e. not the Win2k server) it works fine.

Also, if this helps, I have another computer that also runs XP Pro, that seems to have no problems accessing the server. What is different about it? I can think of a few things: Firstly, it is not connected to the domain (just the same workgroup but doesn't log into the domain). Secondly, it runs Office 2003 and not Office XP like the rest (but I don't see how that would affect the fact that the rest of everything works fine). Thirdly, it's connected wirelessly instead of with wired Ethernet. That's all I can think of.

This is really causing our office a lot of annoyance and wasted time. Please help if you can.

Thank you very much in advance!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Check your DNS I bet your going to find the clients are pointing to the ISP DNS and not internally -

First off since your running in a domain setup you have Active Directory enabled. Active Directory REALLY relies on DNS.

The best test is to ping a machinename if it replies back with the FQDN then you may not be having DNS issues but if you only get machinename and NOT machinname.domain then your in trouble.

Here is what you want to do. On the server verify you have DNS service installed and setup. Next you want to ensure that in the DNS server you have a forwarder put in place on the DNS server from your server to the ISP's DNS servers (probably what you have coded on the clients or you can check your router and get the IPs from the WAN section). Lastly on the server itself have the DNS IPs set to its own IP or the loopback 127.0.0.1

Once you have all of that setup I would take 1 machine and change the DNS to point to the SERVER only (do NOT add secondary ISP DNS IPs). Check login times and ping with the machinename vrs the machiname.domain.

With MS and domains you always want DNS to flow like this -

PC resolves DNS to server - Server resolves DNS to itself but if it can't then it forwards to ISP - ISP has its internet DNS servers. This way you resolve internal AD stuff but if the server doesn't know any internet DNS it gets it from the ISP.

Bad DNS can cause client drops, slow logins, GPO's not applying correctly and many other major symptoms

3. dyw

dyw Thread Starter

You were right -- each client computer's DNS was set to the ISP instead of the Server / Domain Controller. I changed it and we'll see what happens. I hope this solves the problem!

Thank you very much!

4. dyw

dyw Thread Starter

StumpedTechy,

Thanks so much!

I set the DNS of most of our computers to point to the server, and then the server's to point to itself AND to the ISP's.

So far we the problem is not happening again!

If it's good for a couple of days I'll post again, if not, I'll also post again.

Thanks a lot again! You helped the frustration level a lot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice