1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server accesses websites that clients can't

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jarad_CA, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jarad_CA

Jarad_CA Thread Starter

All the clients on my network have trouble accessing certain sites while my server has no trouble whatsoever with any sites.

Yahoo.com is a good example:

My server acesses it fine but all of my clients can practically not load the site at all ...it requires tricky timing on the refresh button and multiple clicks on any buttons that may appear at the site to accomplish anything.

I have a DSL connection and my network is commposed of a 24-port repeater hub and 3 computers with 10Mbps NICs installed.

What would cause the problem I'm experiencing?

What's special about sites like yahoo? ..Why would my server work 100% fine with yahoo while my clients have so much trouble?

Thanks in advance,

Jarad

2. calabash

calabash

What happens when you ping (with the -t option) yahoo from your clients?
    I've experienced a partial outage from my isp where certain web sites were intermittant. Obviously, since your server has no problems, this is not your case, but perhaps there is some filtering or choking?

3. Jarad_CA

Jarad_CA Thread Starter

I honestly just don't know.
    I don't understand why my clients don't have the same exact access that my server does.

I have nothing additional installed ..no filters or anything.
    My system is about as basic as can be.

And keep in mind that pretty much all sites can be accessed by my clients, it's just that they have a lot of trouble with certain sites (like Yahoo).
    Any filter should simply restrict access I would imagine ...not cause trouble.

An example of a site that my clients have never had trouble with is google.com ...Google always runs 100% smooth and exactly the same as it does on my server
    (if that tells you anything).

4. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

Which operating systems are all machines running, and which SP rev. is the server running. Also, are you using your "server" as a DNS server....?

5. Jarad_CA

Jarad_CA Thread Starter

* all are using Windows ME
    * not sure what you mean by SP revision
    * I wouldn't know if I'm using my server as a DNS server ...windows ME pretty much set up everything automatically.

edit:
    Just guessing here, but if DNS = Domain Name Server ...as in web server ...then the answer is no ...my server is only a server to the other computers on my network.

6. Rockn

Rockn

What is your network setup to access the internet? Do you have a Win2k or NT server? Are the clients accessing the internet via proxy or ISA server?

7. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

I see.... I got the impression from your original post that you were using a "real server", that's why I asked about running DNS on it. Now that you've cleared that up :) From this point...the first move that I would make is to check the Networking/TCP/IP settings on the "client" machines and I'll bet that you're going to find that they're relying on the Windows ME "sharing" (or server as you referred to it) to handle name resolution (DNS) requests. In other words...in your client machines TCP/IP settings name resolution is being handled the the DHSP server (WinME system).

Take a look at the Windows ME TCP/IP settings by clicking start and in the run box typing winipcfg (now press enter) In the pop up box, select your NIC from the drop down menu (don't look at the ppp adapter). Now, you made need to click on the "more info" button at the bottom to get the DNS servers that it is using. Write that information down. Another option would be to go to a DOS prompt and type ipconfig/all (press enter) and get the DNS server information from there...once again write it down. Now, go to the client machines and hard code the DNS server information into the TCP/IP area and I'll bet that resolves your issue.

Lemme' know how it turns out or if you need any further assistance.....

8. Jarad_CA

Jarad_CA Thread Starter

Once I have written down the DNS servers numbers from my server, you want me to enable DNS on my clients (under DNS configuration) then add the servers numbers and enter the server name right?

9. Jarad_CA

Jarad_CA Thread Starter

Rockn
    I'm not sure ...learning as I go
    But my server (which I will refer to as a Host from now on) is using Windows ME.
    And the information returned after using the ipconfig command says that DHCP is enabled.

All of my computers (host and clients) were automatically set up using Network Connection Wizard.
    My NICs are 3Com Etherlink III ISA cards (using Legacy mode).

10. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

go to a DOS prompt and type ipconfig/all (press enter) and get the DNS server information from there...

11. Jarad_CA

Jarad_CA Thread Starter

I already did that ...I got the numbers.
    Was just double-checking the procedure with you.

I enabled DNS on one of my clients then I entered the DNS servers numbers and the name of my host computer.
    Then I used Yahoo to test whether or not it helped ...it didn't ...same problem was still present.

12. Rockn

Rockn

You are confused as to what a server is and WinME aint!! A server does what the name implies....SERVES services and resources. Windows ME is a workstation and does not have a DNS server service to offer your network clients. You need to specify a DNS server from your ISP and not one that doesn't exist on your network. Contact your ISP, ask them the primary and secondary DNS servers on their network and enter them on your local client. Are you using ICS on the WinME "SERVER" to share internet access?

13. Jarad_CA

Jarad_CA Thread Starter

lol

um, like, stay cool man
    if I knew everything about this stuff I wouldn't be posting here
    :)

I already got the DNS numbers
    ipconfig gave them to me

don't know what ICS is

14. Rockn

Rockn

ICS = Internet Connection Sharing. sharing the connection via proxy thru one PC as a gateway to the internet. Are the DNS servers the ones from your ISP or are they addresses from yout local network.

15. Jarad_CA

Jarad_CA Thread Starter

Internet Connection Sharing = yes

My main computer (the host) connects to the internet via a DSL card.
    My other computers connect to main computer via a 24-port repeater that is connected directly to my main computer's 10Mbps NIC.
    My other computers use 10Mbps NICs to connect to the repeater.

The DNS servers are the ones that are displayed when I type ipconfig /all

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice