1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server advice

Discussion in 'Networking' started by funky_munky, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funky_munky

funky_munky Thread Starter

In return for favors done I am offered a deal on software from an aquaintence who owns a computer business. This works for me for sure.

What I want to do is have all my four pc in the home see each other. Also one other pc is in our attached shop running quickbooks pos for its retail purposes. What I want advice on is what type of configuration and software would be the best way ( Not nessecarily the cheapest) to have the stores pc running not only its pos software but some applications that can be run from all the pc's elsewhere in the house.

We have begun learning some alternate languages so it would be convenient for each user to do so from the central installation where it backs up the database.

Shoul I go with something like Windows server 2003 or something else and under what type of configuration ?

Thanks for reading this long winded post.

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

What applications? I mean I kind of get what you are asking... but not really. I mean as far as servers goes 2008 is around the corner from MS. Or 2003 is just fine too.

You spoke of a database? what flavor?

3. funky_munky

funky_munky Thread Starter

Thsnks for the reply. Its a language program that installs withing itself MSDE 2000 Server to run its application so there is no need for an oracle, sql database or anything for that matter.

I know that windows 2003 is available and it can be set to auto backup the days info which is necessary.

Im ok with 2003. I have enough system to run it well and there are tons of places pick up tips on it.

It can also run the stores pos software.

The questions now are how to set it up. EG: active directory and such.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice