1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server backup and anti virus question

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by ozziebeanie, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Ok I have a server that uses SCSI hard drives, we had a bit of a problem putting on the OS :p but we have got it up and running now. ;) Now I know one drive copies the other, so if one hard drive fails you pull the failed one out and whack another drive in and it will copy other drives. Which is good, you don’t loose information.

My question is, if any or all of the programs on my server become corrupt or a nasty virus :((nothing is 100%) then obviously the drives copy each other so they all become corrupt.

I don’t want to go through the hassle I went through loading from scratch:rolleyes: (that is another long story - lets just say after many fustrated hours, I had to buy a DVD drive as did not realise the drive in it was only CD and disc was DVD, I will say no more) - is there a way (my back up program does not do this) to make an image of the server from a networked computer of the server and also put that image back on from a networked computer, without buying into expensive equipment and tapes or what ever.

Or is it possible like on my computer to add a hard drive which you can copy and switch off when you have made the image, then boot to it if you have to put the image back on the corrupt drive, , i am a bit fuzzy as to what you can do to a server as apposed to a computer.

My other question is should I be using a different anti virus for a server than I would for my own computers, this is not a business situation, I just have it at my dads for when I go out there to play around with and learn, but I want to set it up with an antivirus. Oh and the server is a Dell PowerEdge 2650 server and it has Windows 2003 server OS on it, I have also done all updates for it. It has five bays but at this stage i just have two SCSI drives on it, and a disc and floppy drive

My only experience with a server is that in the work situation I have done things like added a printer to the network, created ID's etc things like that, this is the first time I have started at the very beginning of setting up a server.

Thanks in advance. :)

Beanie :D

OK an amendment my dad has backed up the server and backed it up to one of the networked computers, using the standard Windows Backup but not sure if he should place it back on whether it would work the other way around.

2. PK-her0

PK-her0

3. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie Thread Starter

First Name:
    Serena
    Yes we still need to do backups which is why I asked the question, just wanted to know if there was a program that would allow you to back up to a drive on a networked computer and allow you to put an image back on from a networked computer.

Thanks for the tips on programs to use, wanted to use one that was recommended, I have an older version of Norton Ghost on computers but can not see a option of doing it from a drive that is from a networked computer

I will have to get more drives the SCSI ones have different connections on the ends to the ones I have, although I have done things on a server already set up, I don't have any idea about setting up a server from scratch, and only a couple of clue's literally on the differences in what you have to do

Thanks

Beanie

4. PK-her0

PK-her0

i think you will find backing up over a network slow and painful, depending on the amount of data...i have about 400GB of data i dont want to lose. if i had to back that up to my NAS drive it would prob take about 4 hours...and thatwould be a differential backup.

5. digitalsatori

digitalsatori

It depends on your version of Ghost; most can do it through Unicast/Multicast, but I'm not entirely sure if it can handle the SCSI part of the server. Ghost 2003 can handle SCSI, but you may be better off using Acronis TrueImage (with Plus Pack to handle SCSI): http://www.acronis.com/promo/ATIH2010/lockergnome/TrueImagePlusPack/

Alternately, you can perform a full backup of your C: and your system state. If a crash was to occur, you could reinstall a fresh 2003 OS, then perform a restore of the C: drive and sytem state.

6. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

RAID1 and higher is a kind of backup. It has flaws, but it's still redundant to save you from various failures.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920461

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice