1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server can't ping gateway

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stanr691, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stanr691

Stanr691 Thread Starter

I have a network with about 60 hosts and suddenly one of my servers can't ping the default gateway or get to the internet. It can ping all other hosts on the network and no other device is having an issue getting to the gateway. The server in question is running Server 2012 R2 and has been working fine for months. No changes to the IP settings on the server have been done. It has a static IP and the configuration is correct. I can remote desktop to the server, but it cannnot ping my gateway or get to the internet.

I have a different subnet on my lan and if I configure for that subnet, it can get to the internet, but not on the subnet it has been living on for months.

Any ideas??

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What do you mean you have a different subnet on your LAN? Is the server multihomed? What device is the default gateway? Is it some router/switch which you can pull up an ARP table to see if the default gateway is properly seeing the server's MAC address and associated IP?

3. Stanr691

Stanr691 Thread Starter

Yeah, we have two different lans running on our equipment on different vlans. Weird thing is, I accessed our ASA to see the arp table like you said and there was my server. I can now ping the gateway. Weird stuff. Earlier I could not ping the gateway and the gateway couldn't ping the server.

Somehow it fixed itself. I love networking.

4. zx10guy

Do you have two default gateways configured on the server?

5. Stanr691

Stanr691 Thread Starter

Negative.

6. zx10guy

Interesting.

And I assume the server isn't set up for DHCP.

This is strange. I've worked with a bunch of ASAs to include personally owning 2 ASA5505s and haven't recalled ever running into this issue.

Are you running two ASAs in an active/standby pair?

7. Stanr691

Stanr691 Thread Starter

My IPs are static and it's a single ASA with only a couple of access lists and VPN access.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!