1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

server/client

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jaye944, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaye944

jaye944 Thread Starter

what "Makes" a server a server, and a client a client.

In other words, what would you expect to see running (software wise)

If you had say

XP
    NT

if somone asked you "is that a server or a client" how could you tell ?

cheers

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    That depends. But, in general:

Server software is to be run on a server. Windows 2000 Server, Windows NT Server (Is there an XP? I'm not sure, but it sounds wrong.)

Now, the client would run Windows 2000 (a "professional" operating system) or Windows ME (a "home" OS) or Windows XP Home or Windows XP Pro or Win 98 (there was never a server edition of that).

For OS's, there are NT and there are non-NT. The NT is generally the "professional" edition, like Windows XP Pro. Windows 98 was the "home" edition and Windows NT 4 was the "pro" edition.

A mail client is MS Outlook.
    A mail server is MS Exchange Server.

A server is a machine in a dark, dusty closet somewhere, usually at work.
    A client is the PCs that all the employees use.

You might have your own server at home tho, if you're a techno-geek. That would mean--generally--that you don't keep all your files on your PC, but on the server.

Servers have CPUs just like a regular PC. However, I'm sure it's desirable for them to be more powerful.

Some people have print servers. That would be a PC that's dedicated strictly to processing jobs to a printer--generally at Kinko's and other printhouses, they'll have print servers that run special software.

Most of the keyboarding that would be done at a server is setup kind of stuff. Rarely would someone sit and type up a document on a server.

Am I understanding your question? Giving enough info?

3. jaye944

jaye944 Thread Starter

hey dreamboat,
    sorry for delay in replying,

well not exactly...

say, you were in front of a PC screen.

and had already been logged on. the user ask's 2 questions

"How do I know if this is a server ?"
    "Whats the difference between a server and a client?"

so in possibly 4 steps, what would you do in order to ascertain the PC you were logged onto was a server ?

and in a clear easy to understand statement, explain the latter

cheers

jaye

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Not a clue. I used to know how to change that pre-WinXP, tho.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Any network admin who has half a brain would never let you sit down in front of his server. The only people who should have physical access to a server is the Network Admin. I doubt you will ever sit down in front of one unless you become a network admin.

If you right click My Computer and select properties, it will tell you what OS you are running.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Actually, on my old PC (I think, 'cause I can't find it on this one), there was a setting whether the machine was being used as a server or (can't remember if the other option was client or something else).

So, I have a feeling that jaye is looking for that.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I guess you could call a pc a server if you are running File Sharing on it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218340

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice