1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mmbc_voltron, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mmbc_voltron

mmbc_voltron Thread Starter

My server is 2003 with 2 Nics an internal and exteral access. Everything was working. I did change the ip of the external address from 10.1.10.5 to 192.168.5.5 because I am trying to implement a VPN router. After I added the router and set it up with static IP, my WS was able to access the internet for awhile. Then I was tring to setup Remote access and I might have changed something in there that caused it to stop. But I did remove RAS from the server and still the WS can't access the interenet.
    The server can access the internet fine with the new settings but other WS can't access the internet unless I add the address from the new router manually to the WS.
    Any Ideas?

Internal address

external address

VPN router setup with static IP information.

Cable modem

2. wisdum

wisdum

So you have a separate router and server? Or is it a server you are trying to use as a router?

I am guessing it has to do with RRAS. Without more info it is hard to say. I would start by providing a bit more info on the issue. Any error messages/logged events?

3. mmbc_voltron

I have put everything back the way it was and still the WS can't access the internet.
    the server is running DHCP. the WS get an ip no problem. I can ping the internal and external address fine.
    internal
    external
    I can't ping the gateway

the external Nic on the server has the proper gateway and can access the internet fine.
    there are no errors in the event log. the only one wasm 53258 and MS said to ignore it.

4. wisdum

wisdum

How does your RRAS setup look? You are doubling NATing and i think there are better ways to set it up. If you want your 2k3 box to be a vpn concentrator then you need RRAS, furthermore, you need RRAS to do your "double NAT."

I think the issue here is basic routing. You are trying to do a NAT translation without anything actually processing it. Normally this is done in RRAS. You will need RRAS if you want your server to pass packets from one network card to the other through NAT.

I would make sure your NAT in RRAS is working/setup.

5. mmbc_voltron

But I had the WS accessing the internet before I activated RRAS. Then I installed RRAS and it was still working. It seem to stop after I added a linksys router. But I have removed the router and put back the original ip numbers. And i disabled RRAS. Should I reactivate RRAS?

6. wisdum

wisdum

Well man, i dont know what to tell you except change your design. I am sure you can get it to work with the equipment you have but its just a bad design. I think you should consider using the 2k3 server as a router or setup your router correctly. This double-NAT is just going to give you problems.

I would recommend you google what you want to accomplish and see the best way to go about it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590723

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice