1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server info for remote access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FATHERTHOMAS, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FATHERTHOMAS

FATHERTHOMAS Thread Starter

I will attempt to be as clear and concise as possible. The situation is that a company is being purchased by another company. Company A is being asked for information by company. Company B wants all of the information required to remotely access company A's servers as soon as the transaction is completed. The problem is company A no longer has IT support or even anyone onsite who is capable of providing this information. Company B has specifically requested a domain password. I have been given this responsibility because I am the closest thing they have to support. I have established remote access between personal computers in the past. But never a company server. How can I direct those onsite through the process of accessing the required information from their servers and then possibly setting up a vpn or remote test to make sure it works? Is a domain password all that company B will require to remotely access servers and network of company A?

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Without sounding like I'm preaching. The type of access you're asking for. Server to Server, is best left to professionals. There's just too many variables for a lay person to attempt this. You run the risk of inadvertently give access to unauthorized persons. In worst case the network could be left wide open to anyone with bad intend.

So, my advice is to have them hire a reputable company to efficiently and securely allow the appropriate access.

I realize that this doesn't help you much.

3. FATHERTHOMAS

FATHERTHOMAS Thread Starter

No I get it. I mean it was always my intention to set up a VPN. But in spite of my intentions and the fact that I am actually pretty good with computers this problem was a first for me. Many of the videos I watched regarding this issue were made with the assumption that the viewer already had a base knowledge of the process. To be honest my first question to them was "Where is your tech support guy?" Because when I worked there on location they had downsized from using this huge tech company called Freedom to a local individual who was more than capable of this sort of thing. But apparently he had been somewhat hard to reach. They turned to me because next to him I was the closest thing they could think of. Thats just because I used to trouble shoot minor program issues, repair or upgrade computers or help teach them how to use a new POS system. But I agree with you. I did not really want to tackle this without a little bit of knowledge. Thanks.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You're welcome. Also remember that there may be an issue of responsibility if things go badly. I'm sure you don't want, as you shouldn't, be responsible for any losses in connection with a job like that.

Tell "The powers that may be" that you're not qualified. That you would happily try to help, but that the risks of error and the, possible, repercussions of such an error are too great.

In other words. Admit your limit but show the company that you're not thinking of your, but the company's good. Unless the bosses are complete idiots then they'll see the reason in your answer. If they "force" you. Then make sure that you get, in writing, a waiver releasing you from any responsibility of any and all results of this.

Good luck. And best wishes for a good resolution here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice