1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server information

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lola2001, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Am I in the wrong section?

My company is thinking about installing our own server to store images for downloading to the public. The problem is that nobody knows anything about this kind of thing so it has been left to me to figure it out. I would appreciate some advice on where to start out, what equipment to use, software etc. Is a course necessary? If so what kind? Any help anyone can give me would be most appreciated. Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

GET HELP! :D Seriously, if you don't have any expertise in this area, I wouldn't start with this project. Personally, I'd look to a web hosting company to supply the site, that way you don't get into all the aspects of maintaining your own web site. There are lots of pitfalls along the way, no reason to fall into all of them.

3. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Well I agree with you, that would make it easier but it is not my decision. I'm just the person trying to find the informaion. So if you can point me in the right direction I would be grateful. Thanks.

4. io_robert

io_robert

Look into a MCSE certification from your nearest Microsoft training centre or doing a CISCO course possibly also run at the same centres. Only catch is that they are very expensive, so you may have to pick and choose some modules relevant to your area.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would trust Johnwill on this one. If you have never managed a server or any type of network equipment, you are better off going with Web Hosting. This is not something you can learn overnight or in a couple of weeks. Some of us have spent years going to school and still dont know it all.

6. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Holy cow! You can get some great servers starting at $9.95/mo vs. months and months of training and errors! :eek:

As others have said, for a newbie this is a Black Diamond run! ;)

7. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I think I'm starting to get the picture now. Who knew it would be so difficult. I think the main problem here is that we need a lot of space. My boss wants to set up a server with TONS of high res images for clients to download. I think it wil cost a lot of money per month to pay someone to host a site like that. Am I wrong?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, I'd start with an outside service and see how it goes. Also, you can start your education while you have some sort of service running. I think you greatly underestimate how much money it'll cost you directly to host a site directly. You know, of course, you'll also need a high bandwidth connection for "TONS of high res images", right? Price a T1 line, which is the minimum I'd consider for this kind of setup, and I think you'll start seeing the wisdom of using an outside provider! :rolleyes:

9. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I see what you are saying and will pass the information on to my boss. Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess we really had no idea what was involved.

10. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I think we are going to try out the hosting first and see how it goes while we try to learn this stuff. During the course of researching the best one to go with, I noticed that some servers use Red Hat and some use Microsoft. Is there any reason I would pick Microsoft over Red Hat? Also should I be concerned over Calderon as compared to Pentium? I know Pentium is better but if they are hosting and I have 100% guaranteed up time, what is the difference? Thanks.

11. bassetman

For most people, the big diff is that M$ costs more to use (often).
    It is more vulnerable to hacking (arguably).
    RedHat is fine. For the most part unless you are running your own scripts the version of Linux running won't make a diff to you as the user.
    Other make argue and/or add more. :cool:

12. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So are you planning on going with dedicated server hosting or just web hosting. I would stick with web hosting for now.

And remember that those HI-res images take up alot of bandwidth. So display a lower quality or smaller version of the imgage to display on a web page and then have a link to download the higher resolution image.

13. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

You might want to post the specifics of your webhosting package and the price before buying, a lot of them are rip offs.

14. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I've been looking and I think that regular web hosting does not give us enough space. We estimate we will need about 60GB to begin with (yes we will use thumbnails on the actual page).

We found this company that offer $200 per month/$300 set up fee and it is cold fusion compatible, which we also need. We have a few others we are looking into also. Does that sound reasonable?

One company I called told me it was $999.99 per month for cold fusion support on a dedicated server and the space was the same! I guess there must have been some other big difference.

15. bassetman

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice