1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server license confusion help please

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by curlyroger, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curlyroger

curlyroger Thread Starter

Hello, I am a Linux and desktop guy with absolutely zero understanding of Windows Server licensing no matter what I am trying to read here. :eek:

A business I am helping has need for a server with seemingly simple requirements. There won't be any active directory or weird stuff -- just computers in a workgroup access a drive with some users remote desktoping in.

Site 1 will host the server. A software app and its data be on the server. There will be six computers at site 1, each with a drive mapped from the server. Each computer will have a local instance of the software that accesses the shared mapped drive data. None of these computers will need user access to the server.

Site 2 will have 4 computers. Each computer will remote desktop to the site 1 server to run an instance of the software app.

What "flavor" of server software is needed? I'm guessing 5 CALs is what I need, but I still need remote desktop licenses too...?

I just don't know what to get. :( Any input would be appreciated.

2. peonowns

peonowns

3. srhoades

srhoades

You cannot use SBS as a terminal server. You will have to get a standard server with 6 CALs and 4 terminal server licenses (I think you will have to buy the 5 pack). I guess they are called RD licenses now for remote desktop.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice