1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Server Migration or Not?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by mi32, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mi32

mi32 Thread Starter

I have a windows server 2003 that is the dc dhcp and dns but the network only has 4 users on it for the whole network. The main software program on the system is a medical program with a sql express backend other then that the server is just running.

The owner wants a new server windows 2008r2 The medical support people tell me that alls I need to do is install there program and then copy over the data from the old to the new.

So my question is the old domain name is name.local I want to change it and put on the new one anothername.local .....

With just 4 users on the network and one user account that they all use to log in do I have to do a migration from 2003 to 2008 r2?

Or can I just create the new server and then recreate the users account in ad and this work? disjoin the users from old server? turn on the new one and rejoin users and all should work?
    Please give me all your thoughts and ideas on how you would approach this project...Bottom Line do I really need to do a migration?

To me it seems simple but my gut say hold on check it out first before you jump in

Thanks in advance

2. srhoades

srhoades

The internal domain name is arbitrary so I do not know why you want to go through all that work just to change it. A migration is pretty darn easy, ADPREP/FORESTPREP the domain first, run dcpromo on the new server, wait for the domain to replicate, transfer the FSMO roles, and then setup the new server to be the DHCP server.

If you insist on changing it then the procedure you described is what you would do. Setup the new domain, disjoin the clients and re-add them to the new domain.

With only 4 users if I was not going to do a migration, I'm not even sure I would create another domain. A workgroup be would adequate.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085027

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice